_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Webbing straps/belts/etc
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 09:34 PM UTC
When painting the above topic, is it advisable just to do the 'top' part of the webbing etc or should I try and do down the sides? When doing down the sides I'm making a bit of a mess.

Again, any help would be appreciated?

Cheers
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 06:10 AM UTC
I do just the tops and highlighted/shadow the sides. Got to use a very very small brush.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:33 PM UTC
Hi Hip: I am no expert, but what I do is to paint the webbing etc first before the uniform. That way it is easy to get down the sides and do the whole thing. Later when i fill in the uniform color it seems easier to get the paint to go right up to the edge of the raised detail (web gear/straps etc) and keep it from sloshing up and over the straps etc. I did a few sets of figures trying to pick out the top of the strap with a fine brush but it seemed too hard for me, gravity was working against you, too much paint and it runs down the side of the strap and out onto the uniform. My figures look alot better, and it is helping cut back on my headaches.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 10:13 PM UTC
I guess there is no right or wrong way... its what suits every individual modeller. I usually base coat my figure with everything, includeing belts with whatever colur their belts are. Then I paint up the uniform .. with highlights and shadows to the finished state. I like to get this done first, so if there is a sheen, I will dull cote it. Then I paint buttons, crests, medals. belts etc. with humbrols and/or oils, so a little sheen is preferred. When this is totally dry ... after at least 2 days, I make some washes. A very dark wash, that runs down the side of the belts, it takes care of the overlap between belt and uniform colours. It also adds a shadow which works nicely. I add my wash with a small brush ... actually not the thinnest of washes, as I want a good defination. I let this dry for a about an hour and then using a clean small brush or cotton bud, dampened with thinner, I clean up any excess wash that has spread out from the wash/shadow area. this method works for me, and is quite quick and controlled, although it takes longer, as you need to leave days between stages for proper drying. This is the way I work so I have lots of things on the go all the time, so I just move onto something else!
 _GOTOTOP