_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Citadel Paints
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 942 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 07:41 PM UTC
Hi All,
My son has recently purchased a 40K vehicle, figures and, of course, the required Citadel colours to paint them all (Ultramarines dont'cha know )

Are there any tips about painting with Citadel that I should know (being the all seeing, omnipotent modeller that I am )

TTFN
Tom
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hi Tom, Normal rules for using acrylics apply. Check out Cool Mini Or Not You'll find lots of tutorials and helpful hints for 40K vehicles and figs in their forums
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 - 02:16 AM UTC
Tom,

My son did 40K for a while! You'll want to spray the models with their Chaos Black or Skull White primer. Then, bear in mind that Citadel/GW paints are meant to go on as thin translucent coats with the colour built up by multiple layers of each colour. That's why you need to water them down on a mixing palette (I use cheap paper plates). Some, however, coat better than others - the reds and yellows are notoriously difficult to get a good coat. The darker "earth" tones (made with clay pigments) and metals coat better than the rest.

Have fun!

Tom
MikeMx
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 - 02:32 AM UTC
As an ex GW staff member I echo the advise on undercoating the models, in fact I would prime all models. If it was me doing Ultramarines, I would actually use Halfords grey plastic primer. I would use white primer for white and brightly coloured models and black primer for black or really dark coloured models .
As advised, paint the miniatures with 2 or 3 coats of slightly thinned base colour but for vehicles I would advise spraying with an airbrush if you have one. GW do a spray gun, (as oppose to a normal airbrush) for not a huge amount of money and this can be used to spray on the base colour on both the miniatures and vehicles (the paint would need to be thinned first).
As its summer, GW stores will be running all sorts of events. If your near one see if you can take him down, the staff there can help with learning painting and gaming.

thanks
Mike
Slimedog1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 637 Posts
KitMaker Network: 566 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom,

My son did 40K for a while! You'll want to spray the models with their Chaos Black or Skull White primer. Then, bear in mind that Citadel/GW paints are meant to go on as thin translucent coats with the colour built up by multiple layers of each colour. That's why you need to water them down on a mixing palette (I use cheap paper plates). Some, however, coat better than others - the reds and yellows are notoriously difficult to get a good coat. The darker "earth" tones (made with clay pigments) and metals coat better than the rest.

Have fun!

Tom

Very good info,I use soda bottle caps for watering down the paint as paper absorbs up the paint,you can also use caps from spice containers.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 07:22 AM UTC
Hi Tom I found a great page on Coolminiornot forum with links to threads and features about everything to do fantasy wargaming miniatures Here
 _GOTOTOP