_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Thimble Or Something
FLAKATTAK
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 53 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC
Hello Guys, Yesterday I was cutting some figures from their sprues & I sliced my thumb open with a craft knife. Because of this I am asking you guys what you use to avoid this happening. Firstly I thought of a thimble for my thumb or some kind of leather cover. Can anyone recommend something..

Thanks.
Sean.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 03:14 AM UTC
Sean,

I use a pair of small side-cutters, which are also sold as sprue-cutters by some companies.

I've also used very small scissors and fine saw blades, too.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 07:50 AM UTC
Sean;

Having spilt blood and pre-tinted parts, too, I have empathy!

So now, like Jeff, it's mostly sprue-cutters or small side-cutters from the electronix toolbox, for me!

In those cases where these won't do well, I use my craftknife with a piece of pine as a cutting board- pin the sprue/part down, and cut down thru the sprue-join with the knife. NEVER towards my now-scarred and gouged fingers! Using a soft pine board reduces knife-skitter and seems to reduce fly-parts a little. I also cover the smaller bits with a piece of cello-tape, and cut thru the tape and the sprue as needed. The tape keeps those bits from departing company. Worked well for some tiny bolt-heads Dragon supplied for a Pz IV kit...
 _GOTOTOP