_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Tamiya Early Tiger I Spare Decals
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 61 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:25 PM UTC
Hello to all!

I'm finishing an Academy Early Tiger I (with Interior) to depict Wittmann's mount, the S04. Unfortunately, the kit provided decals are of the wrong colour and indicates "S03" instead of S04. I got the info that Tamiya's Early Tiger I release (35056?, i think) included the S04's decals. Would anyone have this as spare? If so, I am willing to trade or even buy it (at a reasonable cost, sana). Thanks in advance! (:-)

Dennis
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hello and welcome! What do you actually need? Decals? Why not scratchbuild? Do it on the comp, print and stick to the model
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello and welcome! What do you actually need? Decals? Why not scratchbuild? Do it on the comp, print and stick to the model

IMO this will probably work, but IMO again, personally I wouldn't be satisfied with the finish -- even if it does get printed on transparency. IMO again, the finish of the "real-deal" will be a lot different than the scratchbuilt decals, unless ofcourse you can get decal paper...
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

IMO this will probably work, but IMO again, personally I wouldn't be satisfied with the finish -- even if it does get printed on transparency. IMO again, the finish of the "real-deal" will be a lot different than the scratchbuilt decals, unless ofcourse you can get decal paper...

Ah yes, decal paper. They are waterslide and works like ummmm waterslide decals! The only prob is to make your copy in the right scale.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah yes, decal paper. They are waterslide and works like ummmm waterslide decals! The only prob is to make your copy in the right scale.

clean the quote clean the quote! hehehe!

does anyone know where to get decal paper, or is it even available here? oh, and about making them in the right scale....

RESEARCH!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

does anyone know where to get decal paper, or is it even available here? oh, and about making them in the right scale....

RESEARCH!

Dunno if it's available locally. Yep that's right RESEARCH!!! Hahhahaaha!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

RESEARCH!

Dunno if it's available locally. Yep that's right RESEARCH!!! Hahhahaaha!

If ever it's available, I'll surely get one. Kailangan eh
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:38 PM UTC
JMN used to sell some of it. One had consigned to JMN five 8.5"x11" sheets of Bare Metal clear decal paper. Then they also sold a few sheets of another brand of clear decal paper. I got 2 of them. Last time I was there, they don't have any in stock.

SR: Problem with decal paper is that you can't just print it out using your regular inkjet printer, because the image will get smudgy and dissolve when you place the paper in water. The only ways to do customize decals effectively are:

1) Print them using a LASER colored printer (or thermal wax like ALPS)
2) Print images to plain paper then have printed images photocopied using a colored photocopier and decal paper
3) And lastly, use inkjet compatible decal paper - which are more expensive IIRC than regular decal paper.

Blank and white decal sheets are hard to get here. Best place is order it online.

Fairfax: I'll check my Tiger I Mid-Production kit if it has the SO3 decal. If I do, you can have it free of charge.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

JMN used to sell some of it. One had consigned to JMN five 8.5"x11" sheets of Bare Metal clear decal paper. Then they also sold a few sheets of another brand of clear decal paper. I got 2 of them. Last time I was there, they don't have any in stock.

Ahhh yes, dyan ako na-bilib sa JMN, they have a lot of nifty supplies most hobby-stores don't even bother to stock-up on. Case in point: BMF. With regards to the decals, I think I remember in MCS, there was a whole wad of Military decals -- but if IIRC they were more for AC's. But then you might want to give it a try.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:10 AM UTC
With regards to the decals, ... they were more for AC's. But then you might want to give it a try. [/quote]

For AC's? Hmmmmmm....
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC
Thanks Lt. Col. GIBeregovoy for the "How-to" on using decal paper. I was also lucky to get one from JMN months ago. Now, the only problem is making the print-out to come out in the correct scale. About your extra Tiger I decals (if any), what I need is the white-outlined S04. I already have the S03 from Academy which is of the wrong color. If your Tiger I is the Tamiya Early Version, it would definitely have one. Would really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:49 AM UTC
Sorry to keep your hopes up, Fairfax. I just checked my Tiger and unfortunately, it ain't got the decals you need. I'll check later, however, the extra decals I inherited from my officemate's late father. Maybe it has the S04 decal. Keep your fingers crossed.

BTW, I forgot to mention, if you need a white background for the decal, you'll be needing a white blank decal sheet, not the clear type. IIRC, not even copiers or laser printers have white ink. So, if you only have clear blank decal sheets, you'll need to prep it by painting white over it, or paint the surface where the decal will be placed in white.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:16 AM UTC
Ok, if you have problems with white decals, make a stencil! Ofcourse printers don't print 'em. How big is the decal? If it's quite big, it's not much of a problem. The smaller the decal, the harder to make a stencil.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:48 PM UTC
Fairfax: Sorry to keep your hopes up, but, alas, it is a no-joy. I looked through my decal sheet archive and I didn't find any S04 decal. Maybe your best bet is Alabrador as he builds a lot of German armor, or alternatively make your own decals. Sorry again.
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:28 PM UTC
No sweat, GI. I really appreciate you going through all the trouble of checking your spare decals for it. I do hope ALabrador has one, though. What I have is the clear decal sheet and I don't know if i can do a great stencil work on the markings. Anyway, patience is a virtue, right? I'll still try, just in case I really can't get one.

Dennis
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:03 PM UTC
BTW, on making custom decals using blank decal sheets, there's another method which is the result of a weeeeeeee small experiment I did. It involved paint, decal sheet, gloss coat.

First, I lightly sprayed the decal sheet with a gloss coat, afterwhich I let it dry. I then airbrushed paint over the gloss coated portion of the decal sheet - in my case, red, because I was trying to make small red square decals. IIRC, I used Tamiya's enamel red, thinned using their thinner. When that was dry, a second light coat of gloss was applied over the red. Let dry and cure. Then I cut it out, dipped in water - and lo and behold, the decal actually worked! It even managed to hold itself up against the Mircrosol (I reckon the lacquer gloss coat protected the paint). Lesson learned: It is possible to make your own decals using an airbrush, enamel paint, and lacquer clear coats. Important thing is that the first layer of gloss coat prior to the paint is "dusted" onto the decal paper - this way, the paper ain't soaking wet. The first layer of gloss is important because, IMO, it'll protect the paint layer from the solution set. Same thing for the gloss coat after the paint has been applied.
 _GOTOTOP