_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Paint preferences/recommendations??
tede911
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:22 PM UTC
Hi all,

I am returning to the hobby (going to answer that forum question next) and am in need of some recommendations as far as paints go. The last plane I built was back in 1994 or so. Acrylics really hadn't caught on much so I was primarily using Model Master enamels. Although, I did use Tamiya through a Model Master airbrush on my last two kits (a pair of 1/72 Hasegawa P-51s - see photo below). I am now an apartment dweller and will have to use acrylics to keep the fumes down. Through the various hobby shops in my area (Spare Time Marlboro,MA, Playtime Arlington,MA & Hobby Bunker Malden,MA), these are the paints that are readily available - Tamiya, MM Acryl, Polly S, Gunze & Vallejo.

I have a Tamiya P-47 Razorback set aside as my first project. I bought a couple of bottles of MM Acryl (Interior Green & Zinc Chromate) and intend to use them for the interior (cockpit, wheel wells, etc.) and they will be applied using a brush rather than an airbrush. How are these paints for hand brushing? Would you recommend a different paint for hand brushing? I have a few Vallejo basic colors left over from a failed attempt at figure modeling and will use those for some of the detail work in the cockpit & wheel wells. I hear they brush well. I've heard bad things about Tamiya not laying down well by brush. I've also heard things about Gunze drying slowly and with a gloss. What are your recommendations for brush painting?

As for airbrushing, I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to go about this. Probably on a table out on the balcony to eliminate the need for a fume extractor. I'm looking at the Aztek airbrush and probably a small compressor with reservoir. Again we're talking all acrylics here. What are your recommendations for airbrushable acrylics through the Aztek? MM Acryl, Tamiya, Polly S or Gunze??

I am excited to try out some of the many techniques I have read and seen here at Armorama, pursuing the visions I have of the finished subject in my mind's eye and, ultimately, sharing and learning from the adventure here with you all.

I look forward to your replies!

--Ted
Cambridge,MA

TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:31 PM UTC
MM Acryls are a little thin for brushing on and have tendancy to dry as you are painting which can result in a gunky finish (Tamiya is infamous for this). They don't cover very well in one coat so it will take a couple of coats to get it done. I would recommend ABing nearly everything. I do very little handbrushing (less than 1% of the model), only on small details. I usually keep several bottles of my most used detailing colors on hand in enamel, White, Black, Silver, Red, Yellow, and Green for handbrushing. I have others, but they are for my cars and don't really get used on my military models much.
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:39 PM UTC
I was pre-coat the part first with a colse enough color then i hand brush. i use mostly the brushes made for oils. i really like the long handle ones. Good balance and helps in reaching parts of your back when it itches.
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:13 AM UTC
I do all of my detail painting with enamels - I think this is the way to go. Tamiya acrylics do not brush well at all.... I know from experience with these paints. However - they do air brush extremely well. I have a mix of Model Master acrylics and Tamiya acrylics, and tend to prefer the Tamiya paints. You can use rubbing alcohol to thin the paint for airbrushing as well as cleanup - it works out very well.

I do brush paint quite a bit - to achieve different coloration effects, so I do have quite a few Model Master enamels on hand - but mostly detail colors (black, white, steel, gunmetal, browns, tans, etc.)

Hope that helps
Jeff
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:08 AM UTC
I primarily use Tamiya and AB 95% of my kits. Yea - it can be time consuming and a PITA (Pain In The ...) but the finish is worth it. I try Not to hand brush with Tamiyas the finish can be difficult to deal with. I NEVER hand brush Tamiya White, Silver, Flesh, or Smoke -the finish sticks, coverage is poor and they (as TW) mentioned dry quickly.
 _GOTOTOP