Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Sgian Dubh vs Australia
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 07:20 AM UTC
So although this might be a rant, which Spare Parts forum asks us not to post, i don't think it's a particularly controversial or bad one, so i'm gonna go for it anyway.

Please tell me if i'm just asking too much, or if Australia really needs to have a wee think about the severity of what i was asking and where it's priorities and common sense are...

OK, so i am currently in the UK, have been for around 6 months now, and have had a chance to visit Scotland, my families home for every generation bar myself. Loved it, and decided i wanted to take two things with me back home, a Kilt, and a Sgian Dubh.
For those of you who do not know what a Sgian Dubh is, it's essentially a small dagger, maybe 5 inches or so including handle.
Now then, before i went and bought one, i thought i would email customs australia to enquire the legality of bringing such an item in, to which i am told no deal, they are illegal unless you fill in form x y and z, get a temporary authorization to import edged weapons, and get permission from my home towns closest regional firearms officer.

Apparently, as far as Australian legislation is concerned, a Sgian Dubh is a dagger, which is classed as a concealable weapon, which is illegal.

You tell me which is more likely to be used as a weapon, a razor sharp fishing/hunting/kitchen knife, which are available across the counter to people of any age, for around say 5 dollars, at any supermarket in Australia, or a rather expensive culturally signifigant traditionally worn dagger, which one would have to go right out of their way to aquire....
The fact that they were able to tell me what Australia has classed Sgian Dubhs as, tells me at some point they had to decide how to treat that specific knife, which to me is just very ridiculous, concidering the factors i just mentioned. Gah....
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
I have no idea what to tell you. In parts of the USA, (airports for instance) a fingernail file is considered a deadly weapon........
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 08:27 AM UTC
Oh Mark, i forgot to mention that it wasnt to bring in my luggage and certainly not on my person on flight back home, i enquired purely to ship it back home through mail.
So no matter how i got it there...it wouldn't be allowed...unless i were to jump through all those hoops to get my deadly weapon back home into my safe hands, when, as i mentioned, any kid can simply walk into numerous stores in their hometown and get something far more suited for violent crime without a bat of an eye.
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 08:58 AM UTC
Wow, that's tight security. Looks like in the US unless it's a stiletto, or has an 'automatic' blade and isn't marked as a knife, it can be mailed inside the US. Don't know about crossing customs. Even the stilettos can be mailed by a dealer or by members of the uniformed services.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 09:00 AM UTC
The funny thing is that once im home, im certain i know hundreds of places i can buy one from with ease, so why i am not allowed to ship one home beats me...only reason i wanted to purchase it here and not back home is for authenticity.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:47 AM UTC
What about bringing it in as a ceremonial blah blah blah? Sorry, major headache this morning - and not due to a bender.

The joke is that everyone in your particular town carries things way worse than a Scottish ceremonial haggis cutter.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:01 PM UTC
Any chance the store would post it to your home? They'd probably be used to sending ceremonial dress around the world, so could jump the hoops for you - all you'd need to do is open the package when you get home!

The matter of being allowed to wear it in public, however, may still require paperwork...

Tom
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:21 PM UTC
Wearing it in public on a daily basis probably wouldn't be my intention. As for getting someone else to ship it home who already has required licenses to import/export, be honest i actually didn't think about that...You may be onto something!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hey, if it got them tourist money I'm sure they'd mail you the One O'clock Gun! (I'm thinking of those Tartan shops you get in Edinburgh that cater almost exclusively to the overseas tourist trade. I used to live north of there in Perth for a few years, although my own Scottish ancestors were from the more down-to-earth suburbs of Glasgow...)

Good luck!

Tom
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 12:44 AM UTC
Haha aye ya not wrong, Auld Reekie is choca block full of tacky shops full of fridge magnets featuring Nessie in a kilt with a Bagpipes sitting on the Stone of Destiny.
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 12:47 AM UTC
Perth isnae Scotland. It's an Sassenach settlement!

If the customs bawbag disnae like yer chib, gi it him richt unner the oxter.

Alba gu bragh!
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 01:02 AM UTC
John, i was following fine til Alba gu bragh, so yer gaun tae huv tae teach me a new thing here!
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 07:20 AM UTC
Means dinnae fook wi the buckied up bamheids. Arabest.
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 01:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Geez, I was worried about needing a British - American dictionary to use this site.
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Geez, I was worried about needing a British - American dictionary to use this site.

just wait until you talk to a kiwi! even us aussies have trouble understanding them!

That sucks about not being able to get it in. Our customs have gone sh!thouse over here! Bloody do-gooder greenie tree-hugging peace loving drug taking hippie civillian scum!