_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Hold and Fold help
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 01:29 PM UTC
I'm looking at getting a hold and fold tool as I move further into PE. I need something simple, I think, as the assortment of tools I am trying to use right now isn't working well, and I only have two hands. I've been looking at the 4" work station and the "Bug" from KPM. Any recommendations?
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 01:56 PM UTC
I only have the Bug by the Small Shop, but at this point it is all I need. Fantastic little tool and handles everything I've thrown at it so far. Mind you, I haven't had any long pieces to bend yet, for that you'd need the bigger tools, or improvise something.
BTW, what/who is KPM?

Jamie
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 452 Posts
KitMaker Network: 143 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
Russ, I have the 4 inch Hold and Fold, and it's a great product. The only negative is that it only has the one knob. If I'm working with a small piece, I have to be sure to secure it close to the middle of the tool or the piece has a tendency to slide. If I were buying another one, I'd probably consider the 5.5 inch since it has two knobs. Although, the 4 inch rotates, which has been helpful at times. Either way, the Hold and Fold tool is great.

Michael
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I only have the Bug by the Small Shop, but at this point it is all I need. Fantastic little tool and handles everything I've thrown at it so far. Mind you, I haven't had any long pieces to bend yet, for that you'd need the bigger tools, or improvise something.
BTW, what/who is KPM?

Jamie

KPM is the parent company to The Small Shop. Stands for Kalama Precision Machine. Kalama because they are in Kalama, Washington, and Precision Machine, because they are actually a machine shop when they aren't pumping out the wonderful Hold N Fold tools.

I have a 5 Speed in stock if you are interested Russ.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 04:22 PM UTC
Correct me if I'm wrong...
KPM=Kalama Precision Machine, the manufacturers of the Hold-n-Fold. The Small Shop is their storefront for the modeling side and both are owned by Julie & Sam Lockwood, great people to do business with.
***Edit***Scott beat me to it

Russ, I started out with the 5-speed which is an excellent tool, then received the Bug as a review item. Right now, the 5-speed stays in its box and only comes out when I need to bend long items, which at this point is only fenders.

The Bug stays right on my work area, and is in use for a variety of things; bending PE, third hand, clamp, etc. Since it's so small, I don't need to pack it away until I need to do some PE bending. And it's just easier to handle.

Tough choice, since I'd be loathe to give up either one. If you don't plan on bending anything longer than 2 inches, I'd go for the Bug. Later on you may want to add a 4", 5-speed or the 8" one. If you do plan on bending long pieces and only want one tool...go for the 5spd or 8".
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
DOH!!! Sadly I knew that, but for some reason two and two just weren't going together last night.
Thanks for reminding me!
Jamie
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DOH!!! Sadly I knew that, but for some reason two and two just weren't going together last night.
Thanks for reminding me!
Jamie

No worries....blame it on the glue!
RickLawler
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 12:00 PM UTC
I'll chime in with my two thumbs-up for the Small Shops folding tools...you can't go wrong. Also, keep a sharp look out for a new item from them in the near future. I'm test driving a prototype of their new Punch and Die Set - it's going to be an excellent addition to the line.

Rick
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 12:34 PM UTC
Did they not make a Nutter tool?

Or was that somebody else?

How did this play out?

I have one of the original hold and fold's and a great tool.
Slimedog1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 637 Posts
KitMaker Network: 566 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 12:54 PM UTC
Hi
I do not know about the hold n fold,but I have a Etchmate 3C made by Mission Models and although I have not used it much yet.It seems to do a excellent job.As most of you know this tool has 3 wing nuts for tightening the jaws and the jaws can to turned around to fold 6 1/2' pieces
Just my 2 cents
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 05:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll chime in with my two thumbs-up for the Small Shops folding tools...you can't go wrong. Also, keep a sharp look out for a new item from them in the near future. I'm test driving a prototype of their new Punch and Die Set - it's going to be an excellent addition to the line.

Rick

Good to know...as a dealer, I will welcome this addition to the line up!
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 452 Posts
KitMaker Network: 143 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 05:53 PM UTC
I've been shopping for a punch and die set, so I'm definitely interested in a set put out by The Small Shop!
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 01:53 AM UTC
WOW, a punch and die set? I'll be in for some of that (despite the fact I own both of the Waldron punch sets). I just like pretty much all the Small Shop produces so I will be interested in seeing them do a set. I own both the 4 and 8 inch Hold & Folds and enjoy working with them. I've thought about getting the Bug but will have to really find a need for it being that both of the other tools have been able to do everything I have ever asked for.

Rob
RickLawler
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hi,

Since there is interest I'll tell you a little more about the punch set.

The size will be about 3 x 5.5 inches with a base of machined aluminum. Ove the top is a "bar" held in place by two screw nobs for tightening. Within the bar are 7 hole sizes from .20....? (sorry I don't have my calipers with me). The punches are made from from solid brass rod, each has it's own sized tip. The cool thing about this will be that the tips are replaceable separately if they should get worn or broken.

Works like a charm!

They are still working on some final tweaks before it goes into production.

Rick
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 04:21 AM UTC
Solid brass rods? So the tips are made of brass? If so, wouldn't that be a bit soft a metal for this purpose? Sorry if I misunderstood.

Rob
RickLawler
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hi,

I have a little more information about the punches...sorry for the incomplete info and any confusion this may have caused - I was in a rush this morning.

The punch handles are 2 pieces of brass and the tip is a hardened tool steel insert. The punch sizes are .020, .030, .039, .049, .059, .069 & .079 in. diameter.

Production models also will have disk springs which will automatically raise the guide plate. At the moment my prototype example does not have the springs.

Take Care,
Rick
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC
Rick, DO keep us posted on the punch set....I'm sure there a lots of us out there waiting (impatiently) for a new version.

Russ, I have the HnF 4".....you just can't go wrong with them. The Bug I'd like I'm thinking....but until that happens, the "big brother" works beautifully.

My advice would be to get the bigger one before the Bug, only because what the Bug can do can be done on the bigger one....BUT, not so much going the other way. If all you're doing will be small pieces (hinges, brackets, et cetera) then maaaaaybe the Bug will fit the bill.

Regardless, once you get one....you'll LOVE it.

Mike
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 09:04 AM UTC
I've got the 4" hold n fold, it's great for me so far, for both armour and plane etch.

HTH

Andy
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hi,
If you order from Kpm direct there is a discount. Great people to do business with.

I have both and wouldn't be without either.That said,in that I tend to work in an ever smaller workspace(haha) so I use the Bug more. However Mr.Bella has a good point. Ya can't go wrong
Jake
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 11:24 AM UTC
Thanks for all the help and replies. Based on space and the fact that most of what I will be working with is small parts, I went with the Bug. I really do appreciate all the input from everyone.
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 01:08 PM UTC
Good choice, you won't regret it!
Jamie
 _GOTOTOP