History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Another WWI Vet Is Gone
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 04:23 AM UTC
My father-in-law, Jim Costigan, the young kid pictured below during the November 1942 landings in North Africa, passed away early this morning at home. He fought with the 82nd Airborne and 36th Texas Infantry Divisions throughout the Second World War in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France, Belgium (during the Bulge) and Austria. His unit liberated at least one of the Dachau subcamps in April 1945. He earned 3 Purple Hearts, the Bronze Star and several other medals. He enlisted at 16, below the accepted age, the day after the Pearl Harbor attack. He spoke often of his friends from the war, but little of his own experiences. He referred to his wounds most matter of factly. He returned home to marry his sweetheart, Edna Grala, (and a sweetheart she was...one of the nicest people I've ever met) a second generation American of Polish descent. They were together until her death in 2002, and he missed her every day since.

He will be greatly missed.

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 08:14 AM UTC
My condolences.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 08:43 AM UTC
Sorry to hear that. It brought a tear to my eye, and I never met him or you.

I remember just a few months ago that you got him and the picture put together. I guess that was really a lucky moment.

Take Care