_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Ireland
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Where are you?
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 08:21 AM UTC
Just wondering where all the Irish members are in the real world? I've seen people on here from Donegal to Cork and Galway to Dublin but thought it would be good to get a list together. Who knows, we might find someone in the same town/area! So tell us what part of the country you're in please? It might even lead to some meeting in the flesh as it were...

I'll start:

Athy, Co Kildare evenings & weekends, working in Dublin.

Cheers,
Sean
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
Sorry Sean, my folks left ~160 years ago. Good luck with your quest!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi Sean. Well Im from Co. Donegal ... Letterkenny/Glenswilly, but Ive lived in Stockholm, Sweden since 1996. Was working for a Swedish medical company and came here for 3 months work experience!!!! But I´ll always fly the Irish flag .. as they say ... you can take a man out of Ireland, but you can´t take Ireland out of a man.
I started modelling around the same time this site opened, and only lurked for a while ... I was very shy ;-) .. and joined up after 6 months. I think I was the first Irish modeller here, but its great to see so many now. Have been following the IMSS reports for the last few years and am aching to visit it. If all goes to plan, I´ll be planning my trip home next year to coincide with that.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 10:25 AM UTC
Dublin, I was a member of the Dublin branch of the IPMS in the late 70s which then seceded and became the Dublin modellers society, I lost ineterst when I joined the army and came back to modelling in the mid 90s. Never joined the IMSS because they meet on thursday nights and I work every thursday.
eoinryan
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
Living in Cork but work in Limerick during the week.
Murfv
Visit this Community
Carlow, Ireland
entire network: 40 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 - 11:29 AM UTC
I'm based in Carlow these days and work in Athy(beats going up to Dublin everyday) When I was still living in Dublin back in the 80's I was a member of the Dublin Modeller Society and Irish Model Solider Society.
I am now involved with the re-established IPMS Ireland and get to the Dublin branch meetings on a regular basis and sometimes to the Waterford Branch meetings too.
squad55
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 08:29 AM UTC
Hi everyone!

From Tallaght in Dublin, into mostly armour and some irish army topics. Was at IPMS nationals in Cork this year and took part in IMSS show in Collins Barracks Museum, both very enjoyable experiences, learned loads. see the following link to some of my album in kitmaker and let me know what you think(hope it works)

http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9785

Alan.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC
Starting to get a better picture of all the Irish members here... thanks all; hopefully a few more will introduce themselves.

Very nice work there Alan: love the Alouette diorama!
Click on the "Url" button at the bottom of the window where you type a reply to see how to turn your link into a working link
Alan's gallery

Hi Vincent, you're pretty close. You're probably heading into Athy as I leave...Where you working? (PM if you prefer) We probably have some common aquaintences... I even used to live in Carlow, but that was a long time ago. Finished in the CBS there in '82!

Mark, maybe you'll come over at some stage to find your roots? Do you know much about what part your ancestors came from?(There, did my bit for Irish Tourist Board)

I'm going to have to attend one of the IPMS meetings a few of ye have mentioned. Is the Dublin modelers society still in existence? Time to try google.

Cheers Guys
Sean
vertigo
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 388 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 10:54 PM UTC
Just moved into Dublin city with my girlfriend, lisatiffany on this site, today.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. Is the Dublin modelers society still in existence? Time to try google.

From what I know it isn't -don't know how it wound up. I've met some of the old members at the IMSS show.
lisatiffany
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 12:36 AM UTC
dublin city here & dublin foxrock but mostly dublin city ( points up at vertigo..with yer man there) i'm completely new to the modeling scene and started the night before the last IMSS event. mostly i'm building modern german tank kits from revell but as of yesterday have broken free and tried a kit from trumpeter. i probably wouldn't have gotten so many kits done if it were not for having so many model shops & toy shops so close by, also having a partner into modeling helps = )

"bruuummmm"
Prenton
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 10:31 AM UTC
Hi there!

I'm living in Naas, Co Kildare, and work in Dublin. One of those returnees after some time getting interested in girls, marrying one, having kids etc, and now realising that kits are not all made by Airfix, and that there are things in resin and photoetch!

More to the point - we have an active modelling club now running in Dublin - the Dublin Chapter of IPMS Ireland. Murfv mentioned it in a post above.

We meet on the third Saturday in the month in the upper room of Starbucks in Mayor Square, Dublin Docklands (right outside the Mayor Square stop of the LUAS light rail (red line)), from 11.30 to about 1.30. All are very welcome. We are a mixed bunch, with aircraft, vehicles, figures, boats and even one guy who does amazing things with motorbike models.

No cost to attend - just buy a coffee to keep our hosts happy.

The next meet is Sat 21st August when one of the guys will be giving a talk on the aircraft and markings of the IDF (Israeli Defence Force). We are planning the next meeting in September, when there will be a talk on tips and techniques in painting figures.

So come along, if you can. If not, PM me and I will add you to our e-mail list.

Cheers,

Philip (Chair, Dublin IPMS)
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 11:58 AM UTC
Hi Philip.
Vincent had given me the details of the IPMS meetings. I'm hoping to make it up for a latte this month.... maybe meet a few from here at it?

lisatiffany
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 03:19 AM UTC
oh figure painting? i have started to do more figures lately but i'm finding some detailing very difficult (skin being the hardest) myself and vertigo would like to pop along to the next one, we didn't even know about yesterdays until now but we will try make the next one if we can. i'm working on a set or iraqi insurgents at the moment but the skin tone is all off, i'll save starting on the pmcs set until after the meeting = )
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
Figures! Hate 'em - never managed to do a good one.

Anyway, went on Saturday and met a nice bunch of folks. I'd love to attend more, but with kids soccer starting next week that's every Saturday gone until March!

If you're going next month Lisa & Vertigo it won't be until the 4th Saturday (25th?)
Prenton
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Figures! Hate 'em - never managed to do a good one.

Anyway, went on Saturday and met a nice bunch of folks. I'd love to attend more, but with kids soccer starting next week that's every Saturday gone until March!

If you're going next month Lisa & Vertigo it won't be until the 4th Saturday (25th?)

Yep, that's true. The next meet is scheduled for Saturday 25th September (lots of folks were going to be away on the 18th). Lisa and vertigo - you would be most welcome. (figure painting guru hasn't confirmed yet, but anyway we can meet and chat/look at peoples' stuff - aircraft, vehicles etc - as well as figures.....bring something along if you wish)

Philip
vertigo
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 08:19 AM UTC
We should be able to make it and we're both looking forward to it.
Pavlovsdog
Visit this Community
Carlow, Ireland
entire network: 438 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 11:41 PM UTC
I am in London and have been since 1992 ,

Jerry
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 04:32 AM UTC
I'm in Fife Scotland. But I'll be in Dublin this weekend to paint the town red (and black), An Dun Abu!
vertigo
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 09:37 PM UTC
Checking back in to see if the meeting is still on for Saturday?
lisatiffany
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 04:46 AM UTC
it was really nice meeting everyone today its just a shame we couldn't stay longer, hopefully we can make the next one too, great atmosphere/ people and the hot chocolate was yummy - next time i'll try bring along some models = )
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
entire network: 227 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi Sean,

Im in Castlebar in the Rep of Mayo

Im a member of IMSS and I build all types of armour from 1939 to today, Some German, some Russian and a lot of BAOR stuff

just started a AA Ferret 1/2 after a marathon German spell.

Anto
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 11:58 PM UTC
Greetings Anto....good to see the hobby alive out west!

I didn't make IMSS this year but heard it was quite good. Did you have anything entered?

Sean
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
entire network: 227 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 12:34 PM UTC
Hi Sean,

Its a pity you didnt make it...it was a great show....

I had a Dio in the show with a Ferdinand being recovered by
FAMOs with Einheits Diesel truck with a field kitchen in the back (Tamiya kitchen and IBG Einheits truck)

I scratch built houses, Pig-sty, Well, Blacksmith and all the fencing for it.

and I brought a Stillbrew Chieftain with me as well.

Anto

PS. Some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anto_on_the_hill/7204834904/in/photostream/
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 11:53 PM UTC
Pretty impressive! How long did that take?
 _GOTOTOP