Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Omega Tanker
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 08:15 AM UTC
I deliver tyres all over East Anglia and was driving past RAF Mildenhall this afternoon when i spotted this strange looking (K)C-135 with "Omega Tanker" written on the side.It was white and had a large Greek Omega sign painted on the tail,all the windows were still present,as were the original engines - obviously i could`nt stop and take a picture as i did`nt fancy getting arrested !.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what gives as it was the first time i`d seen something like that,i thought it looked pretty cool !!.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hmmm I googled "Omega Tanker", my guess is that it's a privately owned outfit providing contract air to air refuling capability to the US Navy.

take a look at this, put your speakers on mute @ work
www.omegaairrefueling.com/
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 07:43 AM UTC
Cheers Mate - That`s what i saw,now i wonder what it`s doing at Mildenhall.Has the Navy fallen out with the Air Force ?!?!
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 08:21 AM UTC
Wouldn't be surprised. USAF doesn't use probe & drouge refueling. KC- 135 & 10's are mostly set up for boom refueling. USN usually uses USMC KC-130's or buddy pods on std air frames, sometimes they converted old attack planes to re-fuelers KA-3 and KA-6 come to mind.