_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Making Decals
Cruiser114
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 04:34 AM UTC
Since i probably won't be able to find a set of the bison cobra king decals I think i'm going to have to try my hand at making my own decals, I noticed at a local hobby lobby that there was a "decal making" kit with paper and some software for making the decals. so my question is this, does anyone have any experience with this type of program? is there something with a good track record for making decals?

thanks for any information

MC
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 05:38 AM UTC
Matt,

If it's the one I looked at, the software was pretty limited and sounded like it only allowed you to use their designs (mostly car style).

I bought blank decal film for a laser printer and plan to create my own decals using either PowerPoint or AutoCAD. I have Photoshop, too, but since it's basically a raster software, I probably will use AutoCAD for anything complicated.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 07:52 AM UTC
I agree with Jeff. Go to Papilio and order the proper decal paper for your printer (laser or ink-jet) and make your own. I have nade all sorts of decals and had no issues with them.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 03:51 AM UTC
Matt,

Don't forget most home printers don't print in white! You can use white decal paper for designs that sit on a white background (like a US flag, for example) and cut closely around the image, but you can't do so for white lettering that is placed over the hull colour. (All the home printers I've seen use black, red, yellow, and cyan inks...)

In the past I have got custom decal makers to do me a sheet of white markings - try looking in the model railroad press. They are usually one-man bands who can run off a single sheet at a not-bad price using a special printer that has white ink. As they usually charge by the sheet you may as well pack it with markings for several projects at a time...

Hope this helps,

Tom
 _GOTOTOP