_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
snow
driffowl
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 03:21 AM UTC
hi everyone i would be most grateful if anybody could please give me any tips on how to create artificial snow for a winter diorama.
cheers
geoff
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 03:50 AM UTC
I have used baking powder and talcum powder before. They might discolour after a while though.
Treemendus sell a snow product, never uesd it yet, but it looks pretty good. Picture of a dio he did are here in a thread called Eastern front snow dio
Andy
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,998 Posts
KitMaker Network: 257 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 09:49 AM UTC
use bicarbonate soda or cooking soda as it cheap and easy to get hold off (asda, tescos etc.)

scoop out with a table spoon and then brush from the spoon on to the diorama, I have also then used a pipette to then add MIG "pigment fixer" to the snow to hold it in place.

I will warn you it looks awful when first added and may take a couple of days to dry but when it has it still has the snow flakiness but is held in place. try it on an old scrap piece of plastic and see

cheers

Keith
driffowl
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 08:35 PM UTC
thanks for the tips lads will give the baking powder a try at the weekend the woodlands scenics artificial snow i must admit looked the part but was a bit pricey for a 1st time experiment cheers....geoff
 _GOTOTOP