_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Stores carrying (and shipping!) Mr. Surfacer?
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC
Hi,

Just about running out of my stash of Mr. Surfacer spray primer, I looked over at HLJ, but could only find the bottled stuff. Checked a couple of others too, but didn't find anything nearly as affordable. I then emailed the aforementioned and they replied that they can't offer them to international customers anymore due to the tightening restritions placed on aerosols, solvents and the like.
Major bummer!

Sure, the spray cans can be found in some stores over here as well, but at around (or even more than) double the price.
Would anyone happen know any online stores carrying those Mr. Surfacer sprays at affordable prices and shipping internationally too?

Thanks in advance.
:-H
CanDid
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 08:32 AM UTC
Hi!

As I ran into the same problem I thinned the bottled stuff and gunned it with my airbrush, In my opinion it works just as good. Used 'loads' of it in my Special Hobby Hawk.

/Fredrik
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 11:29 PM UTC
Yes indeed, thinning and airbrushing the bottled stuff would surely work even better than the spraycans as you have superior control over the thickness of the coats.

What I've always liked about priming with sprays is their quickness and ease. And sitting around airbrushing with the harsher thinners required for the surfacer would require hazmat suit, give or take.

I think I'll need to give it a try sometimes. With the hazmat suit.
Btw, what did you use for thinning?

After some googling for online stores and emailing them, I did find a couple that will ship those Surfacer sprays internationally, but unfortunately with prices that aren't that far from what the cans sell for here.

viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC
I have both the Mr Surfacer 500 and 1000 in both the bottle and the spray can.

Now here is where the problem arises. Reason most shops won't ship, is Mr. Surfacer is considered a dangerous goods, ie: flammable or explosive.

The fines are just too great to absorb (especially a small shop) if a company gets caught shipping it. Gone are the days of pleading ignorance.

That being said, if you are willing to pay the shipping price, they can be sent by UPS or Fed Ex, as they will ship those types of items, but the normal Canada Post, or the like won't.
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 06:05 AM UTC
Shipping flammable liquids in various forms is becoming increasingly impossible...LEGALLY. There are vendors who ship anything and everything as long as customers purchase the items and the vendor doesn't get caught doing so.

Postal Inspectors around the world are getting more aggressive at enforcement of the regulations. That said anyone who knowing violates the law is subject to the penalties which can be severe depending on where the shipper is located.

If said item is shipped and is involved in a mishap, say it leaked or spilled causing a HazMat response, the shipper could be liable for all cost associated.

The cost to ship flammables Internationally is expensive, yet I still have customers who are willing to pay the cost. Its easy to find out what the base line is, visit either FedEx or UPS websites and use their calculator...minimum weight is one pound (US) all you have to do is plug in origin and destination.

This effects those who don't have a local supplier or regional distributor the most. If you live in a country that doesn't have a distributor importing these products, you're going to have to decide to either do without or pay the price.

Many of my customers also elect to have the items shipped to places in the US they are or have friends visiting so they can take them back in their luggage. If there is a will there is a way.

After weighing the risks and consequences, I for one as a Mfr elect to stay within the law, not test it. In fact, as a CYA, my dealer agreement includes a paragraph that advises them of and makes them aware that they too must comply with the regulations.

I've had two incidents where someone else shipped my products which were either involved in an incident or were caught by inspectors. Since I wasn't the shipper I wasn't held responsible. One was a vendor shipping stuff to winning bidder on eBay.
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 11:54 PM UTC
You could try Model Design Construction? Their website state that they ship to UK, Ireland and Scandinavia only. Not sure what the prices would be like though

Model Design Construction
 _GOTOTOP