_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Replicating Muddy Terrain?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 12:36 AM UTC
Helllo, how do I replicate a fresh muddy terrain? Like it has just rained hard an hour or so ago. I'm planning on using plaster of paris but don't know what color should I use to make it look muddy. Also, should I apply a gloss finish to make it look very fresh?
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 02:14 AM UTC
Do a search here and type mud. The first link has a nice way to produce mud. Its used on the model ,but I see no reason it would not work on a base. Go to rivet review and look at "Zis is it..done." To make the mud look wet I painted on future.Got it for ya.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2001/05/stuff_eng_tech_dirt.htm
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 07:18 PM UTC
SR, yeeeup, use real mud. Take your regular garden soil (preferably dry), add a wee bit of water, then add a generous amount of Elmer's white glue, mix mix mix, then spread it like so on the base and you have real mud! When it dries, it'll look like sh1t. Really, I'm not kidding. It'll look like dried doggy poo. That's when you start giving it a nice dark wash to make it look wet. Wet mud is different from dry mud in the color, not the glossiness of the wet mud. Wet mud is darker than dried mud. You either paint the mud with a dark color, or use your used thinner that you used to clean your paint brushes and airbrush then just brush it on the surface - if you're feeling adventurous, pour the thinner! It'll make the mud dark and it'll stay that way. And look! Wet mud! :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

SR, yeeeup, use real mud. Take your regular garden soil (preferably dry), add a wee bit of water, then add a generous amount of Elmer's white glue, mix mix mix, then spread it like so on the base and you have real mud! When it dries, it'll look like sh1t. Really, I'm not kidding. It'll look like dried doggy poo. That's when you start giving it a nice dark wash to make it look wet. Wet mud is different from dry mud in the color, not the glossiness of the wet mud. Wet mud is darker than dried mud. You either paint the mud with a dark color, or use your used thinner that you used to clean your paint brushes and airbrush then just brush it on the surface - if you're feeling adventurous, pour the thinner! It'll make the mud dark and it'll stay that way. And look! Wet mud! :-)

Thinner? Good idea! Bad thing is, it will scare away everything from it's path! Since it stinks! Hahaha
 _GOTOTOP