_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Ships
This is a group for ship scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
" what if " builds
jhorn13
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 04:18 AM UTC
I'm sure most of us have heard of the IJN battleship/carrier hybrids, the Ise and Hyuga. But what if the Japanese went a step further and completely stripped a battleship down to the deck and equipped it with a full length flight deck? As such, I am currently working on converting Aoshima's old 1/700 IJN Fuso into a hypothetical full flight deck carrier, which requires heavy scratch building, in fact pretty much the only kit original parts are the hull, waterline plate, and the AA guns. Well anyway I just wanted to know if anyone else has had similar ideas pertaining to world war II ships.
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 08:24 AM UTC
Never actually tried to build anything like that, but I have spent many, many hours drawing stuff similar to what you're talking about.
Great idea BTW. Let us see some pic's as you go along.

Hermon
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 09:07 AM UTC
I thought {and may be wrong here} that the Akagi was just that...a battle ship hull with a carrier top?!
jhorn13
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 12:11 PM UTC
I'm actually almost done with it right now just a few more parts left and then paint, but I'm new here so I still don't really know how to upload photos yet.
jhorn13
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 12:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought {and may be wrong here} that the Akagi was just that...a battle ship hull with a carrier top?!

I guess you are correct there but what I was really going for here is after the battle of midway.
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 06:47 PM UTC
There was the Shinano, the third Yamato class battleship that was converted to a carrier.

I had the same thought only with a modern ship. I have an Arleigh Burke destroyer that I am eventually going to make into a carrier of sorts. Haven't decided if it will be a full length carrier or a hybrid yet, but I have a few projects queued up and that will give me enough time to ponder designs.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I guess you are correct there but what I was really going for here is after the battle of midway.

Oh, I misunderstood the build premis then, my mistake.
Anything goes then...this coming from a guy who's taking the USS Arizona and turning it into a space battleship over in the sci-fi section...which I really need to get back to that build! Model on!
jhorn13
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There was the Shinano, the third Yamato class battleship that was converted to a carrier.

I had the same thought only with a modern ship. I have an Arleigh Burke destroyer that I am eventually going to make into a carrier of sorts. Haven't decided if it will be a full length carrier or a hybrid yet, but I have a few projects queued up and that will give me enough time to ponder designs.

I guess I forgot about the Shinano, but if you recall it had not yet even been completed as a battleship before it was converted, but it was still technically a battleship hull.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 11:42 AM UTC
If you got away from the usual battleship hull concept{not saying you should} you could try to make that super carrier that the US was going to make out of ice...I forget what the ice was actually made of but it was more than just ice because it had a higher freezing rate and could stay in cold water easily......just a wild thought here!
jhorn13
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 01:50 PM UTC
the conversion has been put on hold temporarily ever since I recieved my new 1/400 scale HMS Hood.
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I forgot about the Shinano, but if you recall it had not yet even been completed as a battleship before it was converted, but it was still technically a battleship hull.

Yeah it wan't completed as a battleship yet, but if memory serves she was ready to launch before she was converted. I don't think she had any superstructure or armor installed yet either.
The_Wargamer
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 03:42 PM UTC
Yeah, I actually have a 1/700 scale Arizona sitting around that I was thinking about turning into a carrier.
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you got away from the usual battleship hull concept{not saying you should} you could try to make that super carrier that the US was going to make out of ice...I forget what the ice was actually made of but it was more than just ice because it had a higher freezing rate and could stay in cold water easily......just a wild thought here!

the ice carrier had saw dust in the ice . the hull would have to have been 34 feet thick . the ship would have been 600 feet wide and around 5000 feet long
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,917 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 06:36 AM UTC
If you're really into scratchbuilding (and not dead set on battleship hulls), also consider the two sidewheel steamers converted into training carriers during WW II on Lake Michigan at Chicago to train pilots in carrier landings: IX-64 USS Wolverine and IX-81 USS Sable. Most famous to train on the Sable was Lt JG George H.W. Bush.
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 05:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, I actually have a 1/700 scale Arizona sitting around that I was thinking about turning into a carrier.

I think she would make a good one and a historically plausible one to boot. Her hull was nice and wide with enough length to have quite a nice deck installed on her.
 _GOTOTOP