Shows and events in Australia.
Australian Model Expo 2010
RedComet
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC
Over the Queen's Birthday long weekend over here in Australia (12th to 14th of June), the 27th Annual Australian Model Expo (and competition) was held at the Sandown Racecourse in Melbourne.

I entered 6 models into the comp and walked away with a first in the Civil Diorama section for the Tyrannosaurs vs Triceratops scene and 3rd in the Miscellaneous section for the Protoceratops.

I took a heap of pictures and video, so click the link below to check them out :

http://www.ghostofzeon.com/other/expo10.html
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 01:48 AM UTC
Good work Scott, congrats on the successes !!

And thanks for linking those photos. It was a great show this year, I understand attendance numbers were up by 30% on last year.

Cheers, Damian
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 11:40 AM UTC
Thanks for the link, Scott. And congrats on the silverware

Was it just me though, or did it seem like there were fewer entries this year? I spoke to one of the fellows selling raffle tickets and he reckons it was about the same, but with more junior entries. I felt there was much less armour this year.

I'll try upload my photos sometime before Expo 2011 And, in advance, I make no apologies for not photographing all the aircraft
RedComet
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 03:07 PM UTC
I had the same feeling. I was the only Dino modeller this year where as last year there was a few others. A lot more Gundam this year (last year there was very little) and word on the street is that there is a possibility of Gundam and other mechs having their own category apart from the Sci Fi vehicles (War gaming got a new category last year and it looks like it has started a trend).

I look forward to seeing your pics Rudi so hurry up and get them uploaded!!!
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 03:20 PM UTC
Scott,

What did you think of the 2 Falke dios?

Loved the 'hovering' one fitted with lit up thrusters and cockpit. Excellent use of magnets to get it to hover. Still wondering how he only managed a 2nd - was much better than the mecha that took 1st (no offence to the 1st place modeller).

It could be a while before I get to those pics. Got a backlog of reviews as well as an 8wk old baby to attend to first

Rudi
RedComet
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 11:06 PM UTC
Those and the large space ship were there on the Friday night when I dropped off my models (as far as I am aware they were all done by expo organisers and other club volunteers). When I saw them I thought an instant win for them although the magnet floating base didn't wow me that much as I have seen them many times before (they are popular in the Gundam/Mech community already).

Either way, the Sci Fi category was pretty fierce this year - something that I always like to see.
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 12:08 AM UTC
Hi Scott , Congratulations on the winning entries . The dinosaur feeding was a standout .
We came over from the West and put on a display table . Our club members picked up some prizes too .
You got a photo of my Gundam on our club table , I didnt enter as I forgot to bring references . ( doh ! ) .ha ha .
Thanks for the photo spread too .
BB
RedComet
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 02:01 PM UTC
Thanks. Yours was the Blitz yeah? I remembered it from here when I saw it on the table that's why I got a shot of it!

Your club table was pretty awesome too. A good variety of subjects rather than just tanks and planes.

Next time you are over for Expo we'll have to have a chat!
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hi Scott , yeah mine was the blitz . I'm glad you liked it , I did'nt bring much as I work away and was kinda out of the loop on the pack up to truck over for the show , oh well .
We're gunna come over in two years time , although we had such a great trip from Sydney via every military museum to Melbourne over ten days ,so maybe that will change and we'll be back next year .
I like the fact that our club members build such a variety and includes a lot of younger modellers .
It was great to see the traders and pick up some bargains , I didnt meet anyone that posts on Armorama unfortunately , but never mind hopefully next time
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Over the Queen's Birthday long weekend over here in Australia (12th to 14th of June), the 27th Annual Australian Model Expo (and competition) was held at the Sandown Racecourse in Melbourne.

I entered 6 models into the comp and walked away with a first in the Civil Diorama section for the Tyrannosaurs vs Triceratops scene and 3rd in the Miscellaneous section for the Protoceratops.

I took a heap of pictures and video, so click the link below to check them out :

http://www.ghostofzeon.com/other/expo10.html

Thanks for the links mate! i now know what i am doing next year instead of going camping! i'll be down in melbourne for the Hobby Expo 2011!
 _GOTOTOP