Unsure if I should buy this air compressor
Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 363 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 09:29 PM UTC
Hi guys and gals

I'm thinking of buying this air compressor, but there's a little bit of doubt in the back of my mind about whether it would be suitable for the Paasche H airbrush that I have bought. I'm also a bit worried that it might be a little bit too small because it's only 31cm tall and has a 3L tank. Is there anyone here who could give me an oppinion on this? I'd be really grateful for any input.

Thanks for looking
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 12:20 AM UTC
your link takes me to MY ebay account.... try linking the auction itself.

Any compressor with a tank that puts out enough pressure will be better than a diaphragm type tankless.
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hi Dean,
the same Matt says happens also to me.
Anyway, by the description you made it seems much like the one I got myself (from ebay too) which, after 2 years, I can tell it served me well.
Actually I first bought a tankless diaphragm one: completely useless.
And I use a Paashe airbrush too....

So, go ahead!

Ciao
Edo
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
I have a small 2 gallon one in the basement I use for casting. I prefer co2 for airbrushing but use the compressor when I'm low on co2.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 03:37 AM UTC
If it comes not too dear, buy it.

I've used a 3L tank compressor with both my elderly and leaky Badger (Paasche) and my much newer Iwata CS. It has worked fine with enamels, acrylics, and Future.

Yes, compressed gas would be better, if you have the set-up, and I've also used my shop compressor (10g - like that bunny; "never" runs out job after job after job).
Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 12:07 PM UTC
Whoops, sorry about that . Hopefully this is the correct URL; http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350363813027&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com.au%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D350363813027%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1 .

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't thought of using CO2 for an airbrush. Can you tell me more about the sort of set up you use, where you get the CO2 from and the costs associated with it?
BomberGunner
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 90 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 04:38 PM UTC
Hi Dean,
I bought one of these tikes after seeing one at my brother's bench. Though I'm no expert (it's my first ever time airbrushing and took me a while to find out how to adjust the pressure (black knob above moisture trap ), my brother (who owns a painting business) says it was fine for the job. He has two airbrushes (an Iwata and a knockoff). He's since moved to a massive compressor, but that's because he also has the "benzene gene" and can use it on his auto tools. Also his modelling bench is out the back in his workshop so noise isn't a factor.
I think mines great, pretty quiet, but my brother did suggest adding another moisture trap closer to the brush.

In short, for $140 go for it.
Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 02:40 PM UTC
Okay, thanks for that Lucien, I'll get that air compressor and see how it goes.
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 06:04 PM UTC
Dean I have thr same compressor the tank is a plus it let's the air cool down so it produces lesss moisture. The problems I have had with this compressor are the tank well inside of it isn't coated so the moisture inside the tank makes the inside of of the tank rusty ,takes awhile for that to happen but after a year or so I noticed rust particles in the filter bowl. To help this u need to drain the filter constantly even if you don't see moisture build up, I use a iwata micron cmb and I use iwatas pistol grip filter For precautions. The one thing I did do was change the reg to a better on like the iwata reg with moistrue filter.but other than that its a good compressor for the money and with the tank u will not have pulsation problems
 _GOTOTOP