Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Stuck on a High Reach Platform Today
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hi Folks

Stumbled upon a dangerous building incident just happened at lunch time in town and ended up stuck for a full hour four floors up in the middle of the air on the mobile access platform that broke down. Thought I was going to have to wait for a rescue by the fire brigade.

A section of cast iron gutter fell of the roof of shops and flats and between me and the police we had the traffic cut to single file whils I got access to check the building out and get the danger removed. While we were up at fourth floor level THE COMPUTER system on the high reach access platform truck SAID NO !!!!!!!!

The three of us on the platform stuck solid with the operator trying everything possible to get the COMPUTER to SAY YES !!!!!! One student staying in the flats was kind enough to offer us drink and crisps from his window while we waited for either rescue or the system to kick back in. We had a cracking view of the street at high level.

Eventually the COMPUTER did SAY YES and the system allowed us to get back down very very slowly.

Back on terra firma again safe and sound. But at least we were able to take down a four foot length of cast iron gutter that was hanging by a thread.

Given that the bit that started the incident off was just a corner piece that sent shrapnel fully accross the other side of lunch time filled street without hitting anything or anybody is just a bloody miracle.

Oh how I love my job. Thanks to Andy the operator for getting us down safe and sound.

Nige
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 09:23 AM UTC
Boy, Nige, you really know how to have fun.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi Mark

I love these high reach machines. They can get into some real high and awkward places. This is the first ever time I have been stuck on one but it was a great sunny day with no wind and great view.

I had every faith in the guy that worked the machine as he has been on a good few incidents I have had to attend.

My workmate jinxed it cause he was too feared to go up on it and said I should go up. Big wimp.

Would have preferred a beer instead of water. I could see plenty pubs from up there.

Nige