_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
What camera for <£250
Philippus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 182 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 10:41 PM UTC
Hi all,

I am fed up of useless photos.

as the title really I'm in the market for a new camera for less than £250.

It primary use will be for my models.

Thanks,
Philip
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 05:02 PM UTC
I just picked up a Canon powershot 3000IS for the same purpose. It seems to do a pretty good job for a basic camera. It's fairly simple to use, and cost $130 here in the US.
Philippus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 182 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just picked up a Canon powershot 3000IS for the same purpose. It seems to do a pretty good job for a basic camera. It's fairly simple to use, and cost $130 here in the US.

Thanks Russ,

I'll check it out!

Thanks,
Philip.
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
entire network: 1,462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2010 - 10:17 PM UTC
I use a Canon Powershot A720IS since 2 and a half years.
The price was around 300 Euro, which could be 250 british pounds.
Perhaps you find a newer version of the series.

greetings...
Soeren
270weatherby
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 07:01 PM UTC
In the point & shoot segment the Canon G series is great. You have manual options and the ability to use strobe lighting. Plus used you can find them to be very reasonably priced. I've done a good bit of business with these guys and recommend them for used equipment. Over in the UK there's Calumet, not sure of which other's there are. However any large retailer should have a used dept.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Point-and-Shoots/1/sku-DC059990979740?r=FE
cinzano
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 419 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
For $260 USD I just picked up a used Nikon D100 (predecessor to the D70). I won't have it until later in the week but I chose the Nikon for the flexibility of the platform (can use all Nikkor SLR lenses) and the reputation of the Nikon DSLR bodies.

The question forming in my mind now is lens choice. Mine is coming with an 18-55mm DX AF lens. Does anyone have experience as to what their favorite lens set up is for a DSLR?

We'll see if my experience buying used will be a good one, but should it go well you really can save hundreds and hundreds of dollars (esp. if you're willing to forgo the newest and the hottest on the camera scene).

The D100 is the primogenitor of all Nikon's modern consumer/pro DSLRs. When it made its debut 8 years ago it was a $2000 camera. Now you can pick one up on Ebay (with lenses) for under $300 USD.

I'd also suggest looking at Nikon D70 and D70s (avoid D40 and D60 as they are cheaper products that lack the lens compatibility of the higher end Nikon cameras).

Anyway...
Cheers,
Fred
 _GOTOTOP