_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Ships
This is a group for ship scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
1/35 SWCC SOC-R
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
entire network: 206 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hi all, I posted over in MSW almost a identical post to this one a little while back, but I had never really noticed that there was a Scratch building section here (shame on me right lol) But I hope to build a 1/35 SWCC SOC-R, and I have been typing up almost a little booklet that includes measurement and background information. Unfortunately I am still working on it, but I am trying to get started, but work is keeping me busy.

SWCC: What is it?
Who is the US Navy SWCC (Special Weapons Combatant craft Crewmen pronounced ‘Swick’)? Well the US Navy SWCC is a special operations force whose purpose is used as an exfiltration and infiltration platforms for Special Operation Forces (SOF) particularly that of US Navy SEALs (SEa Air Land commandos). They utilize several types of Craft, and are highly trained in maritime environments. There craft comprise mostly of the Mark V SOC (Special Operations Craft) and the SOC-R (Special Operations Craft – Riverine) . Personnel in SWCC have similar training to that of the SEALs, but there main focus is on maritime operations. There are three specific teams in SWCC:
1) Special Boat Team 12 Based out of Naval Amphibious Base Coronado, California (home to US Navy SEALs)
2) Special Boat Team 20 Based out of Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, Virginia
3) Special Boat Team 22 Based out of John C. Stennis Space Center, Mississippi (Home to the Special Operations Craft -Riverine force)
Weapons on SWCC boats are up to the team itself, and each boat tends to vary a little. From What I have noticed all the personnel carry M-4 Carbines fitted for them. The Boats themselves can carry an onslaught of fire power. They can have five weapons mounted on the boat at one time. These are the weapons I have been able to find them using.
1) 2x7.62mm Dual 240 Bravo’s (Vehicle Mounted Version)
2) 7.62mm Single 240 Bravo’s
3) 40mm Mk. 19 Grenade Launchers
4) 7.62mm GAU-17a Miniguns
5) .50cal M2 Machine Gun
The Engine is a Twin 440 Yanmar 6LY2M-STE Diesels which is connected to a ZF Friedrichshafen AG ZF-220 Transmission , which then transfers into a Jastram HJ-292 Water Jet .

So I am hoping to get AutoCAD and make a full nice looking diagram not like my chicken scratch looking pencil drawn one lol. So hopefully in the near future you might see more lol. All the best!
RogerEP
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 05:16 PM UTC
Hello 'Marpat'

I too am very interested in modelling the SOC-R boat. I see you are in OZ?

Please get in touch, I think we would have lots to talk about.

My e-mail: [email protected]

My phone: 03 5447 8693.

Cheers,
Roger Pearson.
Bendigo, Victoria.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 05:44 PM UTC
Let me join in this all-Aussie discussion. It looks like a big angry vee-nose duck punt, with eyes and ears and TEETH !!

I'm looking forward to your progress on this one guys.

Cheers, D
RogerEP
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi again Gents,

Check this out --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Bctymq4bE&feature=related

Apologies if you have already seen it.

Roger.
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 10:06 AM UTC
Hey all, sorry It's been so long...

I have been crazy busy, haven't had a chance to start.... but hope fully soon I might have time. I will post more here soon, this is the first chance I have had in a while.

Cheer's
bobbyh
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 433 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
I see these "boats" being hauled around often in my area ( Virginia ) on civilian trucks. If I am able to I can try to get some pictures for you guys if you want ? - Bobby
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 07:33 PM UTC
Oh really??? If it wouldn't be too much hassle that would be awesome... Thanks! It is hard to come by good photo's of the SOC-R...
bobbyh
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 05:39 PM UTC
sure. I will start carrying a camera in my truck and looking out for them. Be happy to. - Bobby
bobbyh
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 04:41 PM UTC
Hi Guy's ! I haven't forgotten you. They haven't moved anything through my area recently. I guess it's the winter weather ? I will keep looking and let you know when I see some to get some pic's. - Bobby
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hey Bobby,

Thanks for keeping an eye peeled. That would slow things down...
 _GOTOTOP