_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
painting tank tracks,
junkman
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 05:40 AM UTC
im building a russian tank and i was wondering what are the basic colors of the tracks.please help,as im still new to armor models.
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
entire network: 720 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi
I'm doing a german tiger and I have the same problem, I can't realize a true track colour
we need your help guys! :-)

regards
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:18 AM UTC
I find that painting track a dark choclate brown mixed with grey to be a good start. I then wash with burnt umber and a bit or burnt sienna, sepia also work well. I then drybrush with a mix of dark earth and white (teh white is oil paint and the DE is enamel). i try to make this a bit lighter than the track color. Once done add pastels to get adusty look and there you go. I vary between each subject. almost forgot on parts of teh track that get alot of contact I brybrush either humbrol metalcote or use a prismacolor silver pencil crayon depending on effect I am after. Hope this helps.
junkman
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:30 AM UTC
thank you very much godfather you gave me some good tips on painting my tracks.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 09:24 AM UTC
I start with an undercoat of black, then sort of drybrush with gunmetal, spray the inside with darkened dark earth, wash with a dirty brown, very lightly spray the inside with a dark rust, drybrush with steel on wear areas, burnish the inside where the road wheels make contact and call it a day.
capnjock
eyeball
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 05:50 PM UTC
GOOD TOPIC!!!

Can anyone tell me what the basecoat should be for the tracks on a Panzer IV? I heard they were painted with the red oxide primer is that correct? Any ideas? TIA

-eyeball
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi. Most of my stuff has Fruilmodel tracks on them so this may work different than on the plastic tracks. I give mine a several light coats of red primer auto paint, making sure I have everthing covered well. Luckily with these white metal track links it's real easy to spot any areas you would happen to miss.

Then I put on a heavy wash of dark umber oil, maybe with a little van dyke brown mixed into it, making sure I get it into all those little areas between the links real well. Once this has dried a day or two, I put on heavy dry-brushings of various shades of mud colors to whatever suits my fancy at the time. Then once this is good and dry I go over them with some bright aluminum or silver, just hitting the areas on the inside and esp. outside of the tracks where they come into contact with the surface of roads, etc. And for the moment I'm pretty satisfied with this.

Of course, if you are installing your vehicle into a dio. setting, you'll want to change things somewhat to get the vehicle to blend in with the enviornment you are trying to create for it.

As with most anything else in modeling, there are at least several ways to do just about anything, so try different combinations and see what you like best.

Take care and good luck. sgirty
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 11:35 AM UTC
I cheet, I use tamiya XF-9 and then dry bush silver for general painting. then dry brush and wash to the environment!!! STUG
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 61 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:40 PM UTC
I usually prepare a mixture ratio of 50% Red Brown, 30% Flat White, and then 10% each of Flat Earth & Flat Base. After spraying this inside & out, I give it an over-all wash of dark grey and later finish-off by drybrushing it with Silver. As simple as pie.
 _GOTOTOP