_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modelers that don't give advice
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
entire network: 286 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 07:55 PM UTC
Ok, this is bit of opposite of that other topic. So, point is that some modelers publish pictures of their models and after that they just leave it And by this I mean that if someone asks about what colors they have used etc, there's no answer.

I believe that one of the purposes of these sites is sharing info, not just being showcase of models. For my opinion, if one is willing to show his/hers models then one should be active enough to answer if there is questions regarding those builds. I'm sure that these people are still checking out the feedback their model has received.

It's not just this site, same goes everywhere. Is there really such secrets that they are not for everyone, or maybe it's language barrier for some?
JanusAust
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 11:23 PM UTC
Multiple answers to that question.

It may be the language barrier in some cases.

It may be "sick of that kit, now", because the kit took so much time and effort, don't want to deal with it any more.

Or they may have moved onto the next project.....

Or they just don't want to answer questions about it......

Personally, if I ask someone how they did 'X' effect, and they don't reply, well, I don't take offence. I usually find they are the ones who also don't post comments on others work.

It's just another possible variation of human nature.

I found I got a lot more help and feedback when I commented on others work. Lesson; to receive, one must first give.

Sometimes, however, I wish I hadn't spread myself over 4 sites, it's starting to stretch me a bit too much......

Hope that offers a partial answer,
cheers

Jamie
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And by this I mean that if someone asks about what colors they have used etc, there's no answer.

In my opinion ... take what you get, but you canīt expect to get everything you want all the time.

In reality, it takes a long time to answer question on these sites but also from private PMs and e-mails. All of this takes away from modelling time. Some modellers are not that open, others are tired answering the same questions all the time. Some like to talk "modelling", others dont.

If there is something you really want to know about and donīt get an answer, start a thread and ask generally how the effect or detail was done or what it was for. There are a lot of experienced modellers here who will answer your question, and youīll get the help you need.

I donīt of many other hobbies where one can get so much help, tips, feedback, inspiration at the touch of a button ... so use what available, but I donīt think any of us have the right to demand anything from anybody. Theres no law that states if you show your model, you have to answer every question asked.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 03:28 AM UTC
Some folks like to discuss their work, others don't. (And some might be overworked and just plain forget which questions they answered!) Yep, it's part of life's rich tapestry, so don't let it get you down!

I figure posting on a forum is like putting a note in a bottle. Assuming it reaches shore, most folk will ignore it. Some might read it and then toss it away. A small number will write a reply on the back, put it in the bottle, and throw it into the sea again. Those are the ones who make up the "community" in a forum.

Sadly I only manage to open a fraction of the messages that get posted here, and if somebody else has covered it I don't need to bother replying. But I do try to answer any messages addressed directly to me about my own models. Fortunately there hasn't been a flood of requests...

Tom
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 06:34 AM UTC
I'm actually not that offended if someone does not answer, this is internet after all But still some very good points guys.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC
I think--- that a lot of the questions that get asked have been answered over and over again, and that people just get tired of answering them. Most of the questions are or have been answered in the thousands of features and articles not only here but on other sites also.
Most of us old farts simply refuse to get involved in the old can of worm debates on whats the best or correct OD, dunken gleb, panzer gray and blackened muzzles, along with chipping etc. We simply build models, post photos, write articles, write reviews and get a few "nice model" and a few "looks like crap" "nice review" and "you're a moron" along the journey. All part of the internet.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 12:39 PM UTC
I think it's worse when you go out of your way to look up a research answer,give some advice,or comment on a model,and the initial poster never replies with a thank you.

Just something to say that your interest was appreciated isn't too much to ask
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 06:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Most of us old farts simply refuse to get involved in the old can of worm debates on whats the best or correct OD, dunken gleb, panzer gray and blackened muzzles, along with chipping etc. We simply build models, post photos, write articles, write reviews and get a few "nice model" and a few "looks like crap" "nice review" and "you're a moron" along the journey. All part of the internet.

Almost spilled my coffee
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 11:20 PM UTC
i try to pre empt questions when i'm posting, especially build threads. i treat them along the lines of "what questions would i be asking if i were someone else reading this?"
and of course when i read other posts, and ask questions i know then to include similar info for others
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 04:26 AM UTC
Tomi--- Humor is a very important part of this hobby--- well for me it is.
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tomi--- Humor is a very important part of this hobby--- well for me it is.

I couldn't agree more.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 12:36 AM UTC
First of all, there's no obligation on anyone to give advice or even respond.

Sadly, this, like every other site out there - it has a predominant number of 'passive' visitors who comment on nothing and getting advice or feedback from them is well-nigh impossible.
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 02:58 AM UTC
Well to me it is just a matter of being polite.
The Internet can be a wonderful place only to the grade of the people involved.

To me it is not "fire and forget" based: it is like a conversation at the bar. You listen, sometime you speak up your mind, sometimes you show some pics of your's or ask a question. But when you get involved with someone, even if in a light way, it is just unpolite not to answer a direct question. After all if you don't have time or you don't care, you'll could as well stayed at home.
Just my 2 cents here...

ciao
Edo
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, this is bit of opposite of that other topic. So, point is that some modelers publish pictures of their models and after that they just leave it And by this I mean that if someone asks about what colors they have used etc, there's no answer.

I believe that one of the purposes of these sites is sharing info, not just being showcase of models. For my opinion, if one is willing to show his/hers models then one should be active enough to answer if there is questions regarding those builds. I'm sure that these people are still checking out the feedback their model has received.

It's not just this site, same goes everywhere. Is there really such secrets that they are not for everyone, or maybe it's language barrier for some?

Yes they should answer questions imho....I check my old builds and look for any responses just for that reason, even if it's an "good job" to which I reply with a "thanks". Once in a blue moon someone asks how this or what paint that and I reply. I post my models here not only to share but to possibly motivate folks to try they're own...I'm seeing a slight amount of amror guys stepping outside of the camo model bunker boxes and trying "shiny things"{civilain cars/trucks} and they like it, which I think is cool! I don't care what ya build, just so long as you have fun,share it, show paint and/or processes and any tips along the way...it's all good.
As for the praise...I can get that from my two kids all day long....not the wife though-
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 06:07 AM UTC
I don't mind sharing....My problem is with finishing the thirty thousand dioramas that I have halfway done. I too do not worry about any of this perfectly authentic color business simply because having been in the military one would realize that a whole bunch of equipment is faded in various shades that are different from the brand new paint job. And at my age I can see that there is always a different way to get the same results. Humor is golden. I think that I will post an active build soon so that I will be forced to finish it........Al
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 12:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well to me it is just a matter of being polite.

Very true.

At the same time, I don't take offense if my question was left unanswered. Different strokes for different folks, I'd always say. Life goes on, and I'd probably ask someone else.

Cheers

Tat
Removed by original poster on 06/01/10 - 12:45:47 (GMT).
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 01:59 AM UTC
There are always new people into modeling and on the site. If they ask a question it is because they have not heard the answer a hundred times like some of us have. I say be patient and give the answer for a hundred and one times. Like SABOT suggested the nit pickers and the arrogant are among us.Their experience should be learned from and their attitude should be ignored..........AL
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 03:00 AM UTC
Tomi - It seems like there are two questions here. First, why don't modelers give advice and, second, why don't people who post pictures of their models and solicit feedback respond to folks who take the time to comment? As someone who recently returned to modeling (last two years), I can say that I've learned pretty much everything I now know from the members of this and similar sites. And at this point, I probably do know the answer to a fair number of questions people ask (especially the recurring ones). However, I usually do not respond because I feel like I'm speaking out of turn (since I was asking them myself just recently). As for the second question ... I can't answer that one. I've only posted photos of a couple models on here, but I know I've responded to those who took the time to comment. Like several others have posted, I don't take it personally if someone doesn't respond to one of my posts.
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC
I would say it depends on the individual and situation. I personally try to answer any and all questions, and am very willing to share what I know. I used to post mainly here and one or two other sites, so I had more time to write comments, post pics and answer questions. Now that I have a personal web site I find it hard ( time consuming) to keep up with responding to questions and posting comments. I try to reply as often, some times late, as I can.
I had a situation over ten years ago where I congratulated a builder on his gold win, and asked a simple question. He basically blew me off without even a thanks. Since then I swor to answer any question and to thank people. But there are always the few who think they are better, and forgat that they too were beginners.
Just my 2cents.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com
 _GOTOTOP