_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Best putty or filler
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 01:42 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Since March I have been using Squadron Tools White Putty, only stuff my local Hobby shop had, applying and spreading it with a hobby knife or my finger. I find this putty difficult to work with as it is very thick and drys quickly. What I would like to know is is there a way to thin it out or is there a better filler out there? Am I applying it in the wrong fashion? What do you guys use? I have seen some photos of peoples in progress work with a green filler that appears to be thinner. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The guys on this site are fantastic. Thanks in advance.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 02:53 AM UTC
The Green stuff might be Squadron Green putty, they make both White and Green. Not sure, as I don't use either, but I seem to remember reading that the Green might be the preferred type. I use Testors putty, which I thin and mix with liquid cement before I apply it. I use sculpting tools, which you can find in MicroMark's catalog, to apply the putty...nothing fancy, just the cheapest I could find. The long thin surface of the tool works well, as does the shorter, sharper sides.

I've also heard of people using Bondo (car body putty) as well as window glazing for filler. There's lots of methods. I'm sure you'll read more as people here chime in.

Cheers,
Mike
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,
Since March I have been using Squadron Tools White Putty, only stuff my local Hobby shop had, applying and spreading it with a hobby knife or my finger. I find this putty difficult to work with as it is very thick and drys quickly. What I would like to know is is there a way to thin it out or is there a better filler out there? Am I applying it in the wrong fashion? What do you guys use? I have seen some photos of peoples in progress work with a green filler that appears to be thinner. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The guys on this site are fantastic. Thanks in advance.

I thin Squadron putty with liquid cement or lacquer thinner and then apply in thin layers using a paintbrush. When I want to be neat, I mask closely around seams using masking tape.

I also use Tamiya liquid surface primer and Gunze's Mr Surfacer in a similar manner, but these fon't need to be thinned.
 _GOTOTOP