Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
a good place for styrene sheet
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 11:18 AM UTC
hey all , i just picked some 40x72 inch sheets of styrene here http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22883&catid=715 . it only took 3 days to get to RI from Ohio. shipping was only 20 bucks it will last me while . hope it helps
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 03:21 PM UTC
Sounds like a great deal for the scratchbuilder. Questions...have you used it yet, how does it compare to Evergreen plastics. Will it work with liquid glues like Tamiya and Ten-X. Lastly can you buy just one sheet or is there a minimum order.

Thanks for the tip!
Joe
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 07:38 PM UTC
i think its a very good deal compared to buying the pre-packaged evergreen packs . i haven't used it yet im going to play around with it on Saturday and ill let you know how it responds to liquid glue. it looks almost exactly like evergreen , there is no minimum order , but if you order more than five sheets of one size there is a discount . the only downside is how they shipped it . it was rolled up in a flimsy box , but there was no creasing or any damage .
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 03:15 AM UTC
* update * it seems to me to be the same stuff evergreen uses . im using ambroid pro-weld and the styrene reacts the same
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC
I suppose as long as the plastic is styrene, without too many additives, our typical glues will work.

A buddy of mine managed to talk a sign maker out of plastic scraps from his operations. Some of these folks vacuform the signs to shape, so there could be all sorts of opportunities there.
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
entire network: 395 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 01:38 AM UTC
I've worked with these large sheets a number of years and here's a little tip - you will notice one side has a glossy surface and one side a matt surface - if you lightly sand to remove the gloss then the sheet is much easier to 'scribe and snap' plus it is less likely to distort as the glossy side has a different surface tension to the matt side.
To prove this point - do a 'scibe and snap' on each side.
the scribed line on the glossy side will snap cleanly while the line scribed on the matt side will snap with a ragged edge.
HTH

Roger.
 _GOTOTOP