Hosted by Matt Leese
Recommendations for a cost efficient compress
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,135 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 01:59 PM UTC
Could someone please point me in the direction of a cost efficient compressor? Mine just pooped out on me and I am in desperate need of one now as I am just starting the painting phase of my T-62.

I was hoping it would be good, quiet as possible and not that pricey. I remember seeing one from harbor freight for $40USD in which it had a tank that would fill up and allow one to spray silently.

Thanks in advance
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 02:37 PM UTC
Well, if you're thinking Harbor Freight they've had at least one compressor on sale for about $60 that would be good for the hobby. Largish compress with a 1 gallon tank.
I picked up one at Pep Boys a couple of years back for $45 that's still going strong though I did replace the regulator with a better quality moisture trap type.
Frankly, I'd check these places first if money is a big concern (and when isn't it?).

Mark
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,135 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 02:44 PM UTC
I should clarify, this is for indoor use only.

Thanks for the recomendation
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 12:20 AM UTC
you still want a moisture trap for spraying. hwen you compress air you also compress the moisture in it, causing it to condense in the tank. When you release the pressure as in spraying, it picks up the moisture and carries it with it out of the tank.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 02:13 PM UTC
Sean, definitely go to Harbor Freight Tools. They have 2 compressors with a 3 gallon tank and one of them is always on sale / coupon for $39.99.
It isn't quiet, maybe the volume of a blow dryer, as it fills, but then you get to shoot in silence from the tank. My suggestion is to switch it off once the tank is full, the compressor kicking back on by itself will make you jump out of your skin!
 _GOTOTOP