_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Coloured plasticard
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 04:29 AM UTC
I guess this is perhaps a less-well used material where painting the finished model would make using it pointless - but does anyone have experience of using coloured plasticard?

I'm toying the idea of making a breakdown train for my Son's toy train set. I have made trucks in the past from white plasticard which I then painted - naturally with use the paint becomes quite chipped so this time round I was thinking of using coloured plasticard for a nice uniform finish that's durable.

I was wondering how the coloured card looks after being cut and bent. Often coloured plastic goes white at the bend if put under stress - does this happen with plasticard? Do cut edges retain their colour properly or do you get white edges to a cut surface?

If anyone has used this stuff and can let me know I'd be interested to hear...

Many thanks

A

Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 06:54 AM UTC
hi it is just the same as normal plastic card , great to sandwich together for scratchbuilding . The cheapest place to buy is at a local Model railway show , I can get it in A1 sheets for about £3-00 per sheet and different thicknesses . I have seen it is black , light blue and pea green . Hope this helps cheers ian
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 07:47 AM UTC
Yes the colored stuff will discolor white when bent. using heat MAY help that situation. AFIK there's not alot of options for solid colored stocks. Evergreen is now producing a Black styrene and Plastruct has had some colored platics for some time.
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 11:05 AM UTC
Hi Ian,

WOW that is cheap! I'll keep an eye out for shows - thanks for the tip!

Hi Matt,

Thanks for that - I think I'll just try to avoid bending it altogether. I've found one shop that seems to sell a variety of colours:

http://www.modellersmate.co.uk/plasticard.htm

so I guess there is some market to support selling coloured plasticard.

Thanks both for your help - another project in the making!

Cheers

A
 _GOTOTOP