_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Tip how to make a rain pipe
RIMA
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
entire network: 285 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 02:44 AM UTC
Thought might be interesting for some of you.
Just use material you easely ( as for free ) might get to use for a rain pipe
first of all a straw

Cut it one the way you wish to make your rain pipe

Then take a piece of metal ( this is the rest of a packing cage of green wire used for gardening )

Use a brusch to give it the round shap the strauw will get through it afterward

make 2 of them

your rain pipe as it first form

Paint your plastic strauw ( I used Humbrol Color Nr 55 )

The 2 pieces of metal will be used to hold the rain pipe against a wall ( I used Model Master Gunmetal )

This house is made out of plaster so i had to drill 2 hole, then glue the 2 metal pieces on it it is ready

This is a idea i had and though to share it with pictures it was easy to make so Why not?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC
Wow! Thanks for the tip!
Dmd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 430 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 04:14 AM UTC
hi

i also use that techniek for making a rainpipe, i still found it such a cool tip ,after so many years

ciao

dmd
RIMA
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
entire network: 285 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 04:29 AM UTC
just wanted to share idea oftewel pictures reportage something I make on my niew dio.
A picture reportage about the building of a dio might be interressting for some of you
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 06:16 AM UTC
cause I'm just starting this wonderfull hobby I really liked the tip, looks kewl!!!
thanks!
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 06:53 AM UTC
Welcome Jurgen. You can learn more here at Armorama about modeling than anywhere else on the WWW. This is a treasure trove for knowledge. Enjoy
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:59 PM UTC
Howdy RIMA,

Thx for the great tip! It was presented JUST how I like it!.....A, B, C....!!! great. :-)

Tread.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 09:58 PM UTC
Thank you for the tip, and you illustrated it wonderfully.

Drinking straws are an easy and readily available material, but they have their disadvantages. Since they are very fragile and because of the material they are made of, the paint likes to crack off after a few months/years when it gets dry and less flexible.
I would recommend that at least you apply a primer paint before painting rust.
Better yet is to use harder plastics.

I discovered that some fast-food restaurants give balloons to the kids. These are fixed on a plastic holder/rod, which makes EXCELLENT building material for rainpipes. This is polystyrene, just beautiful stuff... all free :-)
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 05:38 PM UTC
I ll go with GF as far what's said about straws. at least a primer , but is even better the plastic rods from the ballons or what the give at the luna parks with the stuff we call "tha hair of the granny" you know the white stuff that looks like old woman's hair that the kids like . they stick it on a rod like GF says and is useful hard and never breaks the paint. i ve also found a brand of drink straws that are black in colour and are double hard than all the others, not so flexible but they can bear with paint much better. i ve used em some years ago in a dio for piping outside a bunker. the paint is still on and without problems. i d like to tell you that the HS here in Greece dont brink plastic or brass or any other kind of rod for piping and is difficult enough every time that i need some small piece of a tube to search and scratch for a week . Any way i hope when my visa is offloaded i ll do a huge order in some of your modelstores and buy everykind of rods for the rest of my modelling life !!!
Nice tip again
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:35 AM UTC
It's very interesting hearing from modelers from different countries. Here, in the USA, we take for granted the availability of items from Woodland Scenics carried by at least 3 hobby stores within 15 minutes of my house and located a few hours drive from me, to VLS (mail order, but only 3 hours away by car), even drinking straws. Its been easier for me to get real sagebrush and tumbleweed for foliage armatures.
Then, on the other hand, I've been going nuts trying to get rubberized horsehair and Flexibark and Tetrion, which are easily available in England. I've resorted to trying to entice Jan with some USA jerky in exchange for rubberized horsehair, and may end up just ordering some things from a model shop in England, just to see how it compares to what is available here.
Any modelers from the Czech Republic? You have 8 or 9 manufacturers right there who make items for our hobby (or is it our obsession?). They range from the small 5-person PlusModel, who make exquisite kits and other accessories to the 100 employee Eduard.
I haven't found a single silver birch catkin tree in this country to steal their seeds for 1/35th leaves, yet, they grow wild in much of Europe.
This is all part of the fun and much of the challenge. But, thanks, Armorama, for the forum.

Sealhead (Kansas sunflower)
 _GOTOTOP