_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
modelling room
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2003 - 10:57 PM UTC
I'm getting some work done to my spare bedroom in the next week this will be exclusivley
my modelling room, I'm having one table for kit building and one for spraying/painting
what else should I have apart from mini fridge for beer #:-) I was thinking about shelves ect
and can some one point me to a link about home made extractor fans as the room isnt very
big
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2003 - 11:57 PM UTC
I would get an office/industrial power strip for electrical connections. They are long metal 1.5"x1.5" power strips that have plugs every foot or so. They range anywhere from 3' to 8'. They have connectors to make it easy for wall/baseboard mounting. They are a clean, simple way of electrifying a long area and they cut down on cords running everwhere.

Ventalation ideas
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/57
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/13956&page=1
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/12424&page=1
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 12:17 AM UTC
Don't forget the TV so you can watch History Channel while you model and a computer so you can look up references on the web.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 12:21 AM UTC
Toolcloset (for lack of better word). With a few more shallow drawers for all your brushes, tweezers, knives etc, a bit deeper drawers (for all the paint) and still deeper drawers to put your heavy tools and/or in progress kits away.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 12:27 AM UTC
I don't know how your room is laid out but if it has a closet you might consider putting your desk in there. That's what I'm planning on doing when my daughter grows up and moves out. I'll place my work table in the closet so I can close the door from prying eye, and dusting hands.

Don't forget a nice couch, or sofa, so you can take the occaisional nap.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 12:51 AM UTC
Make sure you have a lock/latch on the INSIDE of the door in addition to the mandatory outside latch as well.

Mike
ljr70
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 65 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC
A bar or fridge full of beer!!
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:02 AM UTC
lads,
keep the tips rolling in, I've got a spare pc and looking at networking it to the internet
via a router, the desk I use at the moment is a cheap pc desk this as the advantage
of 3 deep drawers,and stowage shelves,the mini fridge is a must but the wife's
not too keen(cause she'll never see me! ) I'm lucky that I have no little rug rats
so I dont need to put a lock on the door the room is about 8.5ft by about 10 ft so
no room for a couch Im afraid
:-)
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:25 AM UTC
Lighting. I have three banks of flourescent lighting in my modeling room, and one flourescent bank of two bulbs right above my workbench. You can't have enough light when you work.

Mike

warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:50 AM UTC
How bout an adjustable high back computer desk chair. that offers good support on the back. Also there are these cheap little plastic drawer towers that rubbermaid and little tikes make. they are great for storing parts, tools,sandpaper, ect ect and the best thing is they are about $2 a set. I too use a computer desk and the top part of the desk has all sorts of compartments that are bulging with supplies..
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 02:03 AM UTC
When I converted my son's room to my workroom, I also built a spray booth that uses a dryer type exhaust to exit out the window. It sits nicely on top of a chest of drawers that just happens to hold PE, tools, kits, etc. The booth is about the size of a small fridge. So, I am not able to keep beer here. But, I do not have to transport my models down to the dungeon(basement) to paint them. The choice is obvious. My stash of models IS kept in the basement packed away in moving boxes. I keep the ones scheduled for the near future in my workroom. Because of my worktable and desk, I am not able to have other furniture in the room. I used most of the wall space for bookshelves to keep my growing library of reference material in order. Happy modelling!
capnjock
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 02:15 AM UTC
If it was a perfect world I'd put in a small sink with running water for easy clean ups. A bit exspensive because of the plumbing involved am afraid.
 _GOTOTOP