_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Need a New Desk Lamp. Suggestions?
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 07:46 AM UTC
One of my two flourescent desk lamps has a broken switch that is irreplacable. I cannot find these brass lamps again.
I placed one on each side of my desk and they covered the entire desk well.

I replaced it with an OTT lamp, but that 13W bulb is just too dim.

I've been looking at the very expensive BlueMax 70W desk lamps. Are these worth it? There is a "Lifetime Warranty" on some of the lamps. Does this cover the switch and normal wear and tear operations? (I emailed the factory...just want to know if anyone here use these expensive BlueMax lamps, and which ones).

My two flourescent desk lamps have the 16W "daylight" curly-white 5600K bulbs = 32W of light for $40 each = $80 = good deal!

So...$180 (yikes!!!) for one BlueMax lamp at 70W...
* Could one lamp replace both of my 16W lamps? How is coverage?
* Are the price of the $25 each bulbs worth it?
* Would 70W be so bright that there'll be a mini-white sun in my room?
* How hot is this 70W bulb going to burn?
* Would a 36W or 42W lamp be better?
* Any other cheaper suggestions?

I want those "daytime" warm bulbs...not just a flourescent tube.

Thanks!
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 03:22 PM UTC
Never mind, I found one.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 59 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 02:31 AM UTC
Sounds like you've found something, but if you're still looking, I'd suggenst daylight balanced compact florescent lights (CFL's) in ordinary desk lamps.

I use two of the OTT lights, one on either side of my painting bench. Over it, I use a two-tube, four-foot florescent shop light with the bulbs replaced with daylight balanced bulbs. The shop light hangs on chains and has a normal wall plug.

I've also replace all the incandecent general lighting bulbs in my work room with daylight florescent bulbs (CFL's). This was a pretty inexpensive move that made a big improvement and cut my power usage significantly.

Over my construction / building bench, though, I use two ordinary desk lamps with replacement daylight balanced florescent bulbs (CFL's). The bulbs are rated at 100 watts of light, but only draw 26 watts of power. I also have the same shop light set-up over this bench.

I bought my OTT lights before CFL's were common, but if I had to do it again, I would have just used ordinary desk lamps with daylight CFL's. This is a very economical and efficient way to go to light your work bench.

Mike
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 02:44 AM UTC
Thanks. I found almost the same style CFL desk lamp at about the same price. The big difference is that this one is 26W instead of limited to 18W. So this new one should be brighter.
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC
im a figure painter too so i need good lighting i use a regular art lamp found at staples for 20 dollars and a 16 watt cfl daylight bulb works great 16 wat cfl is 60 watt incandecent. look at the blue max full spectrum cfl closes to day light possible well atleast to me
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 10:34 AM UTC
also if you want one of those daylight lamps look at micheals they have a 40% off coupon floating around good deal because some of those lamps go for like 100 dollars
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 11:05 AM UTC
Sounds like you're covered. But, be careful I bought an Ott knockoff at my local big box office store. When the bulb died, neigher the lamp nor replacement bulbs were being carried there anymore and when I did find the bulb on-line, it was more than I paid for the lamp in the first place, and that's before they wanted about half the cost of the bulb in shipping.

The lamp went into the trash.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 03:52 PM UTC
The 26W lamp I wanted is discontinued so I'm on the search for another lamp.

Thanks for the suggestions. The lamp has to tower over my desk so that rules out most of the CFL table lamps as being too low. And a lot of the lamps are under 16W too. I'm looking for something brighter.

Is it true that a regular swing-arm desk lamp with a 60W rating can accept a CFL bulb? Meaning it's not the lamp, but the bulb that matters?
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 04:19 PM UTC
Also, what is the news about LED lamps? I know what an LED is, but for a desk lamp? Would an LED lamp (which seems cheaper) be better than a "daytime CFL bulb?"

Does any modeler use LED lamps for modeling?
PunyViking
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, what is the news about LED lamps? I know what an LED is, but for a desk lamp? Would an LED lamp (which seems cheaper) be better than a "daytime CFL bulb?"

Does any modeler use LED lamps for modeling?

I got 2 lamps from Ikea called "JANSJÖ". I have one on each side of my work area and I think it is just enough light for modeling. I considered getting 4 lamps then I bought them, but settled for 2.

The lamps is 3W each, doesn't sound like much light, but the lamps is very bright.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 05:43 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

The lamps is 3W each, doesn't sound like much light, but the lamps is very bright.

Depends on the TYPE of lamp. Is it "yellow" or "white light?" I now prefer "white light."

I have halogen lamps with super-bright small bulbs. They burn super-hot so I don't use them anymore, not to mention that they emit yellow "incandescent" light which makes it harder to paint.

_GOTOTOP