_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
found at the local salvation army
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:22 PM UTC
Hey ,guys I was dropping off clothes at the salvation army and I found this kit http://h1069515.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=DML9102
I know its an older kit what can I do to make it up to date your help would be most welcome. I only got it for 5 dollars
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:32 PM UTC
I've found kit at all sorts of odd places. Thrift shops (Goodwill / Salvation Army), antique malls (missed out on an original Star Trek Enterprise there) even at a kids clothes resale shop (Airfix MGB). Keep your eyes open no telling what's out there.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:32 PM UTC
I don't think it's actually that old because the Orange Box series has been recent relatively speaking. I'm not a Sherman expert but check out formationsmodels.com for a host of Sherman goodies for one. There are photo-etch sets by a dozen different companies with all kinds of different thingd in them. I know there's metal barrels in aluminum and brass, metal and plastic workable tracks, metal and resin improved detail antennas, scale chains and tow cables plus metal shackles, resin gear like field packs, bedrolls, tarps, water cans, and other cargo to hang and stack all over it. There are sandbags for extra armor and an infinite number of decals and markings. Check out archerfinetransfers.com for some of those. There are casting numbers, weld seams, bolt and rivet heads as well. After the tank there's a base you can build and goodies for a diorama or vignette... Add troops and more gear! It's all how far you want to take it, how much you can do, and how much you want to spend!
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:38 PM UTC
thanks
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 02:04 PM UTC
It's Dragon's 1994 M4A4 in an CH Orange box. That's a nice find.
Or is it? It could be Dragon's 2003 Firefly Vc with a different turret. Possibly. That'd be even better. Determining the lineages of Dragon reissues is becoming a hobby in itself.
The answer is--- it depends how far you want to take it. It may come with a PE sheet which you should use, otherwise there are many options out there. If it has DS tracks, lucky you.
These were used by the British Commonwealth and Chinese, and possibly the Russians (or did they only use M4A2s?). Don't make it American
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 10:14 AM UTC
That's a pretty good find! You could go to town with AM goodies, but with these Dragon kits you don't really need to the way you would with Italeri or Tamiya. Of course, extra stowage is another matter!

And although most went to the UK under lend-lease, quite a few were used in the States to train US troops before they got shipped out to join tank crews where-ever. Just don't mark it up as a US tank in Europe...

Tom
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 12:56 PM UTC
My wife found a Tamiya Hummvee weapons carrier, new in the box, at a garage sale for $1.00. It retails for $41.00. I think that was a pretty good find. Just keep your eyes open. There is a lot of hidden treasure out there.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP