_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Why I like to see UPS, FedEx, and the USPS
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 01:53 PM UTC
Arrived this past week:

These Emhar kits complete the collection of 5 WWI tanks they released. I have the Whippet and the Tadpole already. I wish someone would make Little Willie with and without the turret and Mother as well.

I have a set of metal barrels -RB I think- coming for the gun and I have the Griffon PE/detail set for the Flak Vierling already. It will likely get some other detail items like front wheels/tires, an AM radiator grille, and some other goodies.

This UHU got a little nicked in transit. I hate when someting this size gets shoe-horned into one of those free post office piority mail shipping boxes! No damage to the contents, though.

Still coming tomorrow is a Dragon Panzer 38t ausf D/E by FedEx, a Cyber Hobby Zwilling Flakpanzer IV Kugelblitz should be here by Monday courtesy USPS, an AFV CLUB SW-36 Searchlight & SD.AH.51 carrier from China at some point, and later next week I hope, a Tamiya SU 122 I need for parts.

Retirement is good!
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:04 PM UTC
Kind of like setting up your very own Christmas.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 01:49 AM UTC
Yeah, but he left you Emhar kits and the rest is German armor. Oh, I get it, he's coming to pick up those kits from you

Had the Cyberhobby M4A2 Beutepanzer dropped off this week myself. Ordered on the 11th, received on the 13th. Sprue Brothers is a great retailer.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, but he left you Emhar kits and the rest is German armor. Oh, I get it, he's coming to pick up those kits from you

Had the Cyberhobby M4A2 Beutepanzer dropped off this week myself. Ordered on the 11th, received on the 13th. Sprue Brothers is a great retailer.

Believe me, I wish someone other than RPM and Emhar did WWI armor in plastic. Have you ever seen Emhars' figures? They are terrible! The green plastic Army man I played with as a child had better detail and were more realistic looking!

got the Zwilling and the 38(t)this morning!

md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 11:54 AM UTC
Yea, I was wondering if the Emhar kits were the modeler's version of lumps of coal.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yea, I was wondering if the Emhar kits were the modeler's version of lumps of coal.

The beauty of it is that WWI tanks fit together rather poorly anyway. I have read of dirt from explosion, dust, shell fragments, etc getting through the cracks. Fine Scale Modeler ran a piece on correcting and upgrading one of the Emhar kits a few months back, One other plus is I think there are fewer rivet counters to pick them apart! But, just nosing through the boxes the detail doesn't look bad at all.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 07:53 AM UTC
A Sabot- Forgot to add, after German stuff is US, then British, then Russian, then Japanese, then Italian, then French. I'm all for Diversity!

Seriously though, the French armor seems woefully under-represented in modeling, plastic anyway. It seems like one of the Final Frontiers in armor. I can find every imaginable type of FT-17, Hotchkiss 38 and 39, a few types of Lorraines (most of those a German re-fitments), the BIS I, and then fast forward to the Leclerc.

As I said, WWI armor is woefully neglected as a whole, but the French were right there neck and neck with the Brits in tank development and deployment but for some reason are not given the respect they deserve.

My overall goal in modeling is following the development of the tank.

That's why I like WWI stuff and wish there were more of it. The period between the world wars produced some of the most oddball and fantastic tanks but is also barely given any attention. WWII was like the Age of the Tank and they evolved and diverged into more variations, types, and applications than at any other time, IMHO, and the Germans took that ball and ran like hell with it. Granted, it was right into an impenetrable wall.

Post WWII through Korea and into Viet Nam wasn't all that exciting as far as new developments (relatively speaking)and radical new designs (someone will remind me of something i forgot, no doubt) except for the Russians. I mean that in the sense of new stuff coming out as opposed to a continuous refinement of an existing item and standardization. I know the latter makes better tactical sense than the former but sometimes it can be the modeling equivalent of flipping burgers. I have a few of the main tanks of that era and plan to add some unique ones like the Ontos.

The modern era has produced some fantastic armor. I have representative models of many nation's top tanks such as the Abrams, Leclerc, Leopard, T-80 (I know they are up to a T-95 now.) Maybe someday someone will release a Black Eagle in affordable plastic and 1/35th scale! I forgot what the Chinese MBT is called.

The thing is when (if) I ever do get most of them done it will provide a hell of a perspective of where it all began and where it led to and many side roads the tank took on that journey.

The middle is so well covered but the beginning is equally ignored. The modern day doesn't have the variety of basic models other eras had. There's so much that could be released but isn't. Instead we get a steady diet of Shermans, Tigers, Panzer II, III an IVs. Then we get the whole menu again with Zimmerit already done. I wish the model companies gave greater say to the historians among them than the bean counters.
 _GOTOTOP