_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Advice on PE Tools
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 03:26 AM UTC
I'm interested in upping my proficiency with PE and could use some advice on tools. Which tools do folks find most helpful? Currently, I use a ruler and pliers for simple stuff like grab handles, so I'm interested to hear about specialized tools from companies like Mission Models and Small Shop. Have you found the convenience and/or increase in your PE abilities a fair trade-off for the price? If you were going to buy one bending tool, which would it be? Are the grab handle tools worthwhile? And how have the tools held up?

BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 03:28 AM UTC
I should have added that I've read many of the reviews already. I'm curious to hear from folks who have used some of these tools for an extended period of time.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hey there Bill,

For the money, I would go with The Small Shop benders.

Not only are they still made from Aircraft grade aluminum, but also offer a lifetime warranty, their customer service is 2nd to none if you have problems with your tools. Size of the bender is up to you, they have many sizes to choose from.

As far as a grabhandler. Again, I would go with the Small Shop Wrangler, as it will make handles like the grab handler, but also D Rings, springs, etc. More versatility with theirs than the Mission Models one.

You can't go wrong with The Small Shop tools.
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 452 Posts
KitMaker Network: 143 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 04:07 AM UTC
I agree with Scott. I purchased the 4 inch Hold and Fold a while back and it's all I use. It's well-made, quick, and easy to use.

Michael
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 04:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward the Small Shop tools ... especially since the Mission Models site appears to be radioactive at the moment.

No issues reliability-wise? The tools appear to be well made, but I seem to recall one of the reviews noting that the fingers eventually bent and no longer held the PE in place. I guess that's where the warranty comes in.

Michael, ever wish you went for something bigger than the 4-inch Hold & Fold? Is there anything other than fenders it isn't big enough to handle?
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 452 Posts
KitMaker Network: 143 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC
Bill, so far I haven't found anything that was too big for the 4". It's nice, because you can quickly rotate the head if you need a long edge. I also use the sides if I've made some folds that prevent me from using the base. I bought it back when you could get the combo deal with the cut off set and rolling set. I use the rolling set often too. The different sized dowels come in handy for all sorts of things.

As far as durability, my hold and fold looks and works just like it did when I first got it. I haven't had any problems at all.

Michael

EDIT: I should add that the only negative I've found for the 4" is the fact that it only has the one tightener. If you have a small piece of PE and need it held good and tight, you have to secure it close to the middle. Small pieces will sometimes wiggle when secured close to the outer edge.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 4,808 Posts
KitMaker Network: 360 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 07:53 AM UTC
I do have the biggest Small Shop tools. Also I bought a while ago the rolling set (metal one). And it is an investment. But with care they can be used for a lifetime!

These are the tools I have from The Small Shop.

This rolling set is also very handy for making grab handles, because there are slots for bending them. You can make with this tool a lot more difficult and complex parts out of PE.

Hope I helped you out!

Hilbert
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 03:41 PM UTC
The 5" and 8" have 2 knobs for tightening the head down. The 4" and smaller just one.

Haven't heard of anyone bending the fingers, I have heard of someone however actually breaking one off.

They contacted The Small Shop and told them what happened. The Small Shop asked them which 4" they had (as they are up to the Mk.IV version now). Apparently the guy had the Mk.II or III, which the bottom wasn't the same. So The Small Shop sent the guy a brand new Mk.IV, top and bottom, as well as a pre-paid box to send the old one back so they could analyze it to see what went wrong and if there was anything they could improve.

So not only is the product kick a$$, but so is their customer service.

Buy with confidence!

PS: Also the Etch Mate is no longer made of aluminum. It is now made from some space age plastic. However they neglected to lower the price of it. So you get the opportunity to pay for aircraft grade aluminum, but end up with a piece of plastic.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 11:10 PM UTC
I have small shop 5" PE tool and the rolling set. they both are very handy, and much recommended.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC
If I can hijack my own topic, what glue do you use for PE and how do you apply it? I've been using good old fashioned Super Glue applied with a toothpick, but I've heard good things about Gator Glue (i.e. it sets up more slowly).
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 02:18 AM UTC
I actually use both thin and gel CA, as well as Gator Glue. Really just depends on what you are doing, and how impatient you are! LOL

The biggest advantage of the Gator glue is that it offers a more "elastic" bond than the CA. The CA bond is very brittle, it's shear strength is low. Gator's shear strength is much higher, but it take longer to dry.

Gator also has an applicator, which I have, but have yet to use, but apparently works very well. Other wise with CA I either use the sharp end of a pin, or an extra fine Micro Brush.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 02:40 AM UTC
I have one of the older holdīnīfolds ... probably a Mk.I ... and never had a problem with it. Works well and is the same as the day I bought it. How much abuse can it get if only used for bending thin etch sheet?

Quoted Text

It is now made from some space age plastic.

This should not be a problem ... those new "space age plastics" are really hard and should do the trick ... again ...how much abuse can it get if only used for bending thin etch sheet?

Quoted Text

it will make handles like the grab handler

IMO, the most useless tool I have ever paid money for. Have yet to make a handle that uses one of the standard sizes. So dont really see the point of this over a pair of pliers.

Quoted Text

Currently, I use a ruler and pliers for simple stuff

These are still good skills to have, and will still be useful now and again. Theres no point paying a lot of money extra for a tool that will only be used once a year, when you already can do it. The basic holdīnīfold though is an excellent tool and makes light of the average PE set. Recommended.
Ive not bought any of the rolling tools, as I found the variety of shafts and drill bits I have do the trick. I would recommend a punchīnīdie though. Great when you need to detail something.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 08:00 AM UTC
I use super glue, and apply it with a needle
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 02:51 AM UTC
Frank - Interesting feedback on the grab handle tools. I wasn't expecting to hear that, but what you said makes sense ... the length of what you need often won't match the pre-sets on the tool. Still, doesn't it help you get quicker, more consistent handles? The ruler and pliers method works for the most part, but it gets dicey for small stuff like hatch handles.

And continuing with the CA theme, will it bond Friul tracks to plastic road wheels? I've got the perfect sag on the T-55A I'm building, but the tracks need a smidgen of help to lie down.
 _GOTOTOP