Hosted by Matt Leese
Limonene based cements
sunsanvil
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 - 08:21 AM UTC
Mr Cement Limonene....Tamiya Limonene Cement...even Testors "non-toxic" liquid cement...all (apparently) the same active ingredient: d-Limonene.

Just wondering if anyone uses or has used any of these and can comment on how they work on regular kit plastic (PS or ABS).
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 - 02:08 PM UTC
The limonene in them was supposedly to prevent anyone from getting high off of sniffing the glue. It replaces the chemical smell with a citrus smell. For people with petroleum allergies, like my kids, it allows them to model without reacting. For those that don't know, reactions to petroleum products are similar to severe ADHD and can mimic autism. My kids can't focus, function or control themselves. It's like Jekyll and Hyde.

My experience is that the glue does not bond as well as regular model cement because the limonene slows down the bonding process of the glue with styrene. It takes more time to cure and won't give you a bead of melted plastic along a joint like regular cement. You just have to be a little more patient. The old Testors stuff in the green tube would leave "spider webs" everywhere so you had to be really careful with it.
 _GOTOTOP