_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
My First Phot Etch Encounter
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 07:56 AM UTC
I've just encountered photo etch for the very first time.

Just a little bit that comes with the AFV Club Churchill.

There are no specific instructions, each bit is just shown in its finished form in the instructions just as if it were another piece of styrene.

But that's okay, the shapes are pretty obvious but I have a basic question - what way the fold should go.

As an example imagine a rectangular strip that has two folds to make it into a square-shaped 'U'.

The strip has two partially etched (to half thickness) lines where the folds are to be made.

But does the etched line go on the inside or outside of the fold. It is not obvious by the shape because both ways will form the same shape.

In origami terms will the etched fold line be at the bottom of a vally fold or the top of a mountain fold?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Nigel
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi Nigel, generaly the partialy etched line would be on the inside of the fold. The partialy etched line acts as a guide to show where to bend or if you own a photoetch metal bending tool like an "etch mate", you could set the etched line up to one of the fingers on the tool before clamping it down and bending. Hope this helps.

R.J.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 09:04 AM UTC
R.J. is correct, pay special attention to the word "generally".

To my frustration I found out that this rule does not apply to all PE sets Complex shapes sometimes make it impossible to always to put the etched line on the inside.

I also found out, that if you try to correct a mistake with thin PE (like Eduard), the part will break at the etched line.

Matthijs
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 12:01 PM UTC
I have discovered that some PE pieces may have fold lines on both sides for a complex shape. ... Pays to look CLOSELY at the piece and at it's likely finished appearance before doing any folding!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

R.J. is correct, pay special attention to the word "generally".

To my frustration I found out that this rule does not apply to all PE sets Complex shapes sometimes make it impossible to always to put the etched line on the inside.

I also found out, that if you try to correct a mistake with thin PE (like Eduard), the part will break at the etched line.

Matthijs

Right on the head there and always seems to be the one with only one part.

_GOTOTOP