_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kiwi Korner
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Wooden Blocks for bases?
Moeggo
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 11:44 PM UTC
Does anyone know of or have a contact in NZ for wooden bases? This time I'm looking for a block or a off cut to mount a Bust/Figure?

Cheers!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 12:51 AM UTC
I'm not in NZ but I'm also a woodworker. I have all kinds of lumber I can make bases out of. the shipping would depend on weight, which depends on the size needed.

Maybe we could work something out (either finished or unfinished) if you can't find anything locally.

Matt
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC
Check out arts and crafts stores. In the States, we have Michaels and AC Moore, usually located in malls and shoppoing centers. They have 2 inch (5cm) unfinished pine blocks for about $1 USD. They also have unfinished candle stick holders that cam be cut done and various other wooden products that work well as bases. Look for decoupage and craft supplies in your yellow pages (or equivalent business directory). A little stain, maybe some wax and you have a presentable base. For special figures, I do buy more expensive bases at shows.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC
David, If all else fail. find a cabinet maker. They usually have cut offs around. Also your local trophy maker might have something also. I get my brother inlaws left over walnut slabs from making cabinets and he mills them out for me. Also the trophy store where I get my name plates made up saves old placques for me because when I get a name plate made from them, I bring the dio in and they just love them and really appriciate me taking the time to share my work with them. They don't even charge me for them and lately they gave me two wallnut bases that are 11x11 with routed ends.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 01:09 PM UTC
Hi David

Well I am here in New Zealand. LOL

I have got real nice wooden bases from Trophy shops.

Also Ace Hobbies in Birkenhead, Auckland used to stock very nice wooden figure bases as well.

Cheers

Sean
 _GOTOTOP