_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Real Name Visibility... big change
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 07:16 AM UTC
I have had numerous requests over the years from people asking that their real name info not be splashed over the net on search engines, etc. For this reason and feedback I got in another topic, I have opted to remove the ability for non-logged-in users to see "real name" data on the site. This does NOT extend to contributed content like reviews, features, news, etc. Those are going to be indexed and be searchable for obvious reasons.

If you are use to browsing the site as a visitor you will likely note the disappearance of people's real names from the forums and elsewhere. So if you want them back... just login.

Thanks,
Jim
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hi There,I totally agree with you on this one.Whilst i`ve got no problem with any member of Armorama knowing my real name,the thought of it turning up during an internet search is kind`a creepy. Especially in these times of I.D. theft and other security concerns,it`s nice to know Armorama is taking this tiny step to protect it`s members.
Thanks Very Much.
robot_
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 719 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

While I like the change not to show full names to non-members, I don't understand why when I'm logged in I lose the avatars, nationality, and contributor medals of everyone (that I can see when not logged in).

Is this just temporary?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hi Ben,
It sounds like you may have inadvertently hit the "Hide User Details" link in the bar above this text. It should say "Show User Details" for you. Click that and all will be restored.

Cheers,
Jim
robot_
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 719 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 03:58 AM UTC
Aha! Sorry for my stupidity!
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 04:13 PM UTC
I like the change. I don't post my full name anyway, but I like the secure idea. The members that I buy, trade, and sell with know my name

VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 08:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the change. I don't post my full name anyway, but I like the secure idea. The members that I buy, trade, and sell with know my name

Yes, I know you KSO. Some day I intend to use your personal information to blackmail you.

Hermon
 _GOTOTOP