_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Kitchen/Bathroom sealant. any use?
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 10:23 PM UTC
I hate sillicone sealant.

Like ' stainable' wood filler - it always promises more than it can deliver. It doesn't really seal - not for long anyway and neither does the 'mould resistant' formula resist mould all that well either. Oh - and once opened it *always* dries out in the nozzle - so whenever you want to touch up a bit you're faced with spending 20 minutes clearing out clots of semi-set rubber before the wretched stuff will squirt out again.

Yesterday I was sorting through an assortment of half-used tubes for one that was still workiing. In one tube I found that the nozzle had clogged-up completely. Giving the rubber a pull I pulled out a perfect impression of the inside of the nozzle - every ridge and seam - in a cone of solid sillicone.

It made me wonder - is it any good in making moulds? Could you pour plaster/ liquid resin into it? Has anyone tried???

It's got to to be good for *something*.....

A
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 11:39 PM UTC
Hmm

people have used it to make smash moulds, the hard but is getting it to stick in the mould pot/lego & NOT to the part you want to duplicate.

eg, fill pot with sillicone, grease part with vaseline, make impression in sillicone, allow to dry, fill with 5 min epoxy, plaster, resin etc.

Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 12:07 AM UTC
Hi Jon,

I half-wondered if getting it to release might be tricky. I'll bear the info in mind.

Many thanks

A
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 03:07 AM UTC
It's been done, but that silicone is torn too easily. Smooth-on or alumilite here in the states make great products and they may have a rep in your neck of the woods if your interested. Do a bing or google search to see what's out there and near you...I favor big rigs{lorries to you folks} and see that KFS{kit form services} and M&G by you does some fine truck work{I've purchased from both of them}....so if they can get the needed supplies, you could too.
The nice part is that if you do have to buy from "us"{USA} your dollar is worth nearly twice ours....must be revenge for that Tea thing we did eons ago!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 05:23 PM UTC
Yes, you can use it for casting. I imagine it's very similar to Liquid Gasket, which I"ve used for casting small parts in the past. In fact, in the absence of resin you can fill the mold with hot glue.
You might also see if you can squeeze through a syringe. A few weeks ago someone was asking how the replicate the welded on numbers on the Abrams. I used to use a product I got from an art store whose name still escapes me, but it was probably the same stuff, only ten times as expensive.
 _GOTOTOP