_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
why is the CyberHobby DAK Tiger so expensive?
justinm
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 03:03 PM UTC
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragon-DML-Cyber-Hobby-1-35-DAK-Tiger-I-Initial-Prod_W0QQitemZ200460246727QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eac5c9ec7QQautorefreshZtrue

I was watching thison ebay, and was shocked to see i sell for just over $250 shipped, how limited of a production was this?
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 03:59 PM UTC
Well, all Cyber Hobby kits are a "one production run" type deal so once they run out they run out pretty much for good. I missed out on these DAK Tigers as I was just entering the armor modeling world after only building aircraft and so I didn't know any better.

Regarding the price shown on your link, well, to each their own of course but you won't see me spending that kind of dough on a 1 /35 kit, regardless of how rare it is.

Rob

bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 11:56 PM UTC
Justin

The other reason may well be that the DAK Tiger was, I believe, the first of the Cyber Hobby releases and there was a lot of fanfare over the fact that it was a limited run and the molds were to be destroyed.

I don't know why but I have 5000 in the back of my mind as the number of kits - I have no idea where that has come from - whether it was in some blurb on the net I can't recall so don't hold me to it.

I know I got mine landed in Aussie for about $85.00 AUS and yes I have seen a few go on ebay for $200 to $250 - I know I wouldn't pay that much for a kit - but then that may just be me.

Brian
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

there was a lot of fanfare over the fact that it was a limited run and the molds were to be destroyed.

Molds to be destroyed?? Wow, now I don't know why anyone would do that but that's just a waste in my opinion. What's interesting to me is that Dragon would still make TONS of money (from those like me who came in too late to take advantage of such releases) if they were to just release another run of them. I can see the one run type of deal being a company mantra to increase visibility but I think they could be benefiting from such releases.

Rob
justinm
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 06:08 PM UTC
If anybody has one of these I'll put down a negotiable offer of $20, and I'll negotiate down to $15 I'm not into spending $250 on a simewhat mass produced kit
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

..... the first of the Cyber Hobby releases and there was a lot of fanfare over the fact that it was a limited run and the molds were to be destroyed.

The chances that this tooling has been destroyed lay between none and zero.
It can happen that this particular version may not be released again, as some cavities in the tooling may be modified along the line .... to improve parts or alter them slightly, but destroyed ... I wouldn´t think so. Wouldn´t even surprise me to see it released with some new parts and different decals in the future.

The market dictates the price. If there is a want, and folks are prepared to pay this price, then thats why they are so expensive. Value is subjective and up to each individual.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 07:09 AM UTC
I bought one when they were first released and it cost me 50.00 from dragon. Every thing sells to high on ebay in my opinion.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 08:31 AM UTC
Not true. Recently I bought an Academy Bradley for a whole $3.25 (shipping is $7.95).
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
I did not jump on the DAK tiger wagon when they were offered becasue I don't care for the subject. Early war(-ish) armor and the DAK holds no allure to me.

It's the scarcity factor "One production run only", coupled with an pretty smart advertising strategy and some basic human psychology.

I had worried that all the 'one production run only' stuff that CH has put out would begin leaking out in other offerings, but so far I have not seen it happen.

All that said, I did fall for it and I did pick up 3 of the Fehrman (sp?) tigers, but I've got a hare-brained idea of a dio of the kampfgroup in my head somewhere, it may get built, it may not.
2 of the Panther F's
The 251/23 will get built for sure
The 234 with schwebelafette likewise.
Horniese ammo carrier too.

Mike
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

there was a lot of fanfare over the fact that it was a limited run and the molds were to be destroyed.

Molds to be destroyed?? Wow, now I don't know why anyone would do that but that's just a waste in my opinion. What's interesting to me is that Dragon would still make TONS of money (from those like me who came in too late to take advantage of such releases) if they were to just release another run of them. I can see the one run type of deal being a company mantra to increase visibility but I think they could be benefiting from such releases.

Rob

Pretty much got to go with this,to destroy a mould after a limited run to me smacks of financial stupidity.When you take into account the amount of money that goes into research and then the cost of making the mould itself,how could you re-coup the cost from even a run of 5000 (?).
I suppose we`ll just have to keep our fingers crossed or just go out and buy Tamiya`s offering (Dragon`s loss must be Tamiya`s gain !).
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 12:27 AM UTC
When they said they were going to destroy the molds, they didn't mean they were going to melt them down to ingots again. It simply means the molds would be permanently modified for this particular kit/variant so it could not be reproduced again in this exact form.
Many molds have been in the past and will continue to be permanently modified by many manufactures over the years. Cyber-Hobby/Dragon didn't invent this concept.

Justin, I guess you'll never have this particular kit then, since your 15 dollars is way below the original price of $50.00. It also wouldn't cover the cost of the Photo-Etched set, or metal parts included in the basic kit. When they first came out I bought 2, I gave one away as a Christmas gift, the other I recently sold to a fellow staff member, at a very fair price, including shipping.

I believe the kit was a bargain when it was issued at $50.00 for what was included in the basic kit at the time. If you can find one in the $100.00 range, I'll would say buy it. BUT I really don't believe the kit warrants $250.00, BUT AGAIN-- a lot of things go for some pretty high prices on Ebay, not just this kit.

Hell, I just paid over a hundred for one resin kit here at AMPS-International, and that was a show special at about 1/3 off. But it was a kit I wanted, and that is the deciding factor, not only in real life, but also on Ebay. I guess someone wanted this kit $250.00 worth. Nothing more, nothing less.
 _GOTOTOP