_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Russian uniform colors
Slimedog1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 637 Posts
KitMaker Network: 566 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 06:38 PM UTC
I am looking for some advise on what colors to use to paint some 1/35 scale WWII Russian infantry.I have just purchased some verlinden and warrior figures.Brands does not matter because i will be purchasing them also.
Thanks
GVoakes
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 193 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
Short answer - Khaki. Tamiya`s Khaki is a fairly close match to some of the uniforms I have which are from the late 40s/ early 50s. However, there was a bit of variety in the dye used - I have seen (and have) some pieces of clothing which are much lighter and darker in colour. I personally have used Khaki, buff, and khaki drab when painting Russian figures.

HTH

Grant
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 01:55 AM UTC
Russian Uniforms ranged from a light sandy color through all shades of brown to a deep olive green color even within the same formation so you have a lot of freedom.
Slimedog1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Short answer - Khaki. Tamiya`s Khaki is a fairly close match to some of the uniforms I have which are from the late 40s/ early 50s. However, there was a bit of variety in the dye used - I have seen (and have) some pieces of clothing which are much lighter and darker in colour. I personally have used Khaki, buff, and khaki drab when painting Russian figures.

HTH

Grant

Thanks Grant
Slimedog1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russian Uniforms ranged from a light sandy color through all shades of brown to a deep olive green color even within the same formation so you have a lot of freedom.

Thanks Pat,that is what I have been reading,so it almost sounds like you cannot go wrong with what color you use except maybe purple LOL,Just want to make figs look realistic as far as colors go and wanted info from someone who knows their stuff.
I am new to this 1/35 sclae figs.I have painted TONS of gameswork shop figs and also 1/72 scale WWII itmes but have not got into the "Russian"sceme until now.
I am building a large diorama of a scene set somewhere in eastern Europe,Stalingrad or Kharkov.I think you get the drift.
Thanks Again
Slimedog1
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
Mike there are some great color plates here showing the variety of Soviet Uniforms.
Slimedog1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 01:03 PM UTC
Thanks Pat,Now I know what you meant by various colors of uniforms.
This is exactly what I needed.
Thanks for the info!!!!!!
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 01:51 PM UTC
mix and match the colors on the figures aswell to give the soldiers a certain uniqueness, to give the impression certain soldiers uniforms are older, cleaner etc.
 _GOTOTOP