_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Slightly OT: Recommend Reference Book(s)
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 08:53 AM UTC
I'm hoping you guys can help.

I'm after a reference book (or books) on WWII Tanks and AFVs. Nothing in my local bookshops and the trouble with AMazon is that you are pretty much buying blind.

I'm not even sure what I want exists.

What I'm after is encyclopaedic covering of tanks and AFVs by nation. Photos and colour plates a must but a good does of text giving specs and history. I don't mind if this is one book or I have to buy a few.

I want good coverage aswell, the lesser stuff, not just tigesr and shermans.

What I don't want is what I call 'top trump' books which have a single colour plate or photo and some bullet point specs.

And the vanguard type paperbacks that cover a single mark are great but would take too much to get the wide coverage I want.

Apprecaite any suggestions.

Cheers,

Nigel
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 11:40 AM UTC
A book I have that fits your description perfectly is "Tanks of the World 1915 - 1945" by Peter Chamberlain and Chris Ellis. It lists, by nation, every vehicle and variant with a photo and paragraph on each, including specs. Quite a handy reference that I find indispensable. Available in soft cover for 20 so it's an excellent value, too. I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't already own it!
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 03:34 PM UTC
Nigel,

Should you fancy something nation-specific -- you may also want to consider the Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII (P. Chamberlain, H.L Doyle). Has loads of pics, specs for variants, and some brief notes on combat history / use. It covers German-made AFV, softskins, including those of other nations' vehicles they have employed in their armor inventory. Some may say that the book may be dated by now but I'd say its still a very good and handy reference to start with.

Cheers

Tat
 _GOTOTOP