_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
help picking 1/35 scale scale model
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC
Hi guys, I am new to afv but not to modeling , I want some advice on picking a 1/35 scale german ww2 tank . I want a good company with good details and readly avalible detail parts like barrels and photo etch parts with out ordering overseas
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 11:35 AM UTC
Personally, I'd suggest either Tamiya or DML Tiger kits (I or II, doesn't matter).
The Tamiya kits are nicely detailed but "simpler" being easier to assemble but look good when finished.
The DML kits are somewhat better detailed (though most of that additional detail is pretty much invisible when all's said and done) and include many more parts than Tamiya (many completely unnecessary in my opinion).
Also the DML kits are much newer and benefit from newer research and some small details are more accurate than Tamiya. (For the better part though these improvements are small and only really matter to some of us detail freaks)
You really can't go wrong with either company and both fit all your requirements.

Mark
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 01:40 PM UTC
This is one of those really loaded questions to which you're going to get dozens of opinions

So here's one more

For ease of assembly and instruction readability you can't beat Tamiya. They're not always necessarily the most accurate kits around, but I reckon hit the mark more than not. If you want to play around with PE, resin and metal barrels most AM manufacturers have products for the Tamiya kits

They're also available just about anywhere

R~
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 03:33 PM UTC
thanks guys that helped alot i think im going with the dml tiger
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 357 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 05:16 AM UTC
Ah....the DML Tiger. Good choice....but, which one? They have many too choose from. Initial, early,late? Also depending on which one you get, does it have the zimmerit applied already? Magic tracks? This is truely a great time to be a modeler!!!!! So many options and so many after market product......
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 12:09 PM UTC
lol thats the problem i having now which one to pick i want to get the latest model of the tiger that dragon has put out i would love the advise thanks
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 01:15 PM UTC
http://www.dragon-models.com/html/6365poster.htm i know its not a tiger but wha t do you guys think about this kit
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC
Apart from the addition of the schürzen armor plates and the markings, the kit is identical to the first 'early' Stug III kit [url=https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/2244# 6320[/url].
I haven't yet built mine, so I can't comment on firsthand building experience, but based on reviews it has been getting and fellow modelers' experiences, I don't think you can go wrong picking it up.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:18 AM UTC
I meant this: # 6320.
One little bracket missing... And of course the window of opportunity for editing had closed already when I noticed the mistake.
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 11:16 AM UTC
thank you eetu
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 06:21 PM UTC
Jonas! Oh, what a delightful worm-can you have opened!!! "First armour kit..."

I gotta agree with eetu;

The Dragon StuG III w/ schurzen (#6365) is, IMO, a REALLY good choice. Neat vehicle, GREAT kit (I have it, fondled the sprues, and am thinking over a build as we speak), and well-reviewed by folks in the know about both the vehicle and plastic model kits.

A cool aspect of this kit, like its close relative, Dragon 6320, is that it comes with a lot of interior- so, if you want to go "open", you have a fine start and don't need a lot of AM stuff to get a pretty good - looking model both inside and out!

Hey, I'm just another snowflake in a potential opinion blizzard!
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 08:22 AM UTC
you guys have been great to a newcomer to afv, thank you and bob i just ordered it cant wait to get it
 _GOTOTOP