_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Digital Photo Editing
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 08:21 PM UTC
Ok, I’ve gone and shot a bunch of digi photos and realize afterwards the resolution is set to humongous jumbo extra large (1600x1200, 1280x960 or such) and I want to edit them to something reasonable for a screen-size photo of lets say 480x640.

What do you recommend for editing software? I know staff_Jim gets to do this a lot!!

As far as the 40cm macro close-ups… I worry about the strap hanging in the picture or dropping the camera on someone’s model.

I do see the advantages of a SLR and manual focus over an auto focus camera. I missed a couple extreme close-ups because the poor camera couldn’t quite match my intended focal plane.

I do like the film less advantages of digit. I could easily shot 15-20 rolls of 36 exposure film on a one week field exercise. Did a lot of K-Mart double print specials. Always took multiple pictures to get one good one.

Dave
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 310 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 08:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, I’ve gone and shot a bunch of digi photos and realize afterwards the resolution is set to humongous jumbo extra large (1600x1200, 1280x960 or such) and I want to edit them to something reasonable for a screen-size photo of lets say 480x640.

What do you recommend for editing software? I know staff_Jim gets to do this a lot!!

Currently, I use two different programs for processing images. For batch operations like, resizing from a large image as you describe, I am using Image Expert 2000. This product has now apparently changed names and is now called "After Shot". The program is simple, stable and reasonably featured. The batch mode operations are also fast. For example, I started with 10 large, hi-res image files and with two simple batch operations, I had a set of thumbnails and a set of images ready for use on a website such as this in under a minute!
I checked the latest retail price on After Shot, $49 direct from the manufacturer, Jasc.com.

Read a review
http://www.cnet.com/software/0-429627-1204-9419290.html?tag=pdtl-list

The other program that I use for image editing is Photoshop LE. Most decent digital cameras and scanners come with a copy of this software. Photoshop is of course an industrial strength product with so many features it's mind boggling. The LE version limits some of what you can do; however, I am still learning new stuff about it after nearly six months.

Here's a very complete list of the "latest and greatest" image editing software -
http://www.cnet.com/software/search/0,11066,0-429627-1202-0,00.html

Later,
Tim

Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 08:59 PM UTC
To try and save yourself some cash, head over to http://www.download.com and do a search for photo editing programs.

Some of the programs are free to use but may not have all the features you want. Others are on a trial basis (usually for 30 days and then some of the features go away) while others are demo's that have features disabled. Chances are that you can find one of these that will do some stuff for you that won't cost you anything.
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2002 - 07:57 PM UTC
Thanks guys! Guntruck mentioned Photoshot on one of the other threads. Loaded Photoshop 5.0 back on and have been playing.

Mostly I was using Picture it! 99 to crop and tweek pictures and ACD See has been my primary image viewer for years.

Now all I have to do is get the scanner back up and scan all those boxes and boxes of pictures!!

Thanks again,

Dave
 _GOTOTOP