_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Inspired by the forum: The <$50 Spraybooth
resistor
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 63 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 04:17 PM UTC
Starting to build again, and decided I would use my airbrush. Before I did though, I wanted to up the ante from my former cardboard box spray booth. I rooted around on the forums and came up with the following sub $50 project spray booth.

Started with a Sterlite storage bin, an 8" computer fan and a fan grill. I was walking through the hardware store and saw some aluminum angled stock, and a range filter. I also bought some silicone to seal it up. Some pop rivets I had on hand from another project, a couple of slow moving hours and a few changes, I finished it off.

I just used it for the first time, and it works great. The fan pulls enough air to hold the filter in place till I figure out an easy way to hold it in place. I think I did pretty well for less than $50. I still need to vent it outside, but I can do that pretty easy. Hopefully this will give someone else some ideas if they are going the same route.

Good for keeping out of the way:

Storage for my compressor and AB, plus some room to spare:

Top of unit:

Behind the filter:

The whole deal:

raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 03:21 PM UTC
That is thumping good stuff Matt. I've been musing about homemade sprayboxes for my new place when I move (no more outdoors airbrushing for me!) and nothing I could conjure could even touch the simplicity and elegance of that.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
entire network: 2,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 124 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 03:32 AM UTC
Great tool
I have a question: at work the spray booth has the filter directly on the rear wall, why did you attached to the upper wall ???

How it is working ??
Cheers
Seb
resistor
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 63 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC
I did it this way because it allowed me to mount the fan behind the filter, maximizing the space inside the box. It works fine, the fan pulls enough air to vent the box, although most of the over spray is at the bottom of the filter. We'll see how it works when I really get to painting on my current project here in a couple of days.
 _GOTOTOP