_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Verlinden and other Resin producers
Northnova
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 03:00 PM UTC
Hello,

I am recently returned to this hobby after ten years absence but have been frequently checking out the main afv forums. Although not modelling at all in these last ten years I have collected quite a stash of models > i knew I would ultimately return to the hobby so kept buying stuff so that I have a nice collection to work on of German armour (mostly those DML big kits, figures, (alpine and Dml) aftermarket barrels and accessory kits, some great diorama stuff from munroe perdu, verlinden (and being originally from Winnipeg, I have a six of the original Custom Dioramics diorama kits when they were still based in Winnipeg) and a wide assortment of the latest trendy products (pigments, glazes etc..) Basically, I have a huge stash of stuff and now can return to modelling as I now have some free time. The long intro is so you don't think I am a troll as my question may seem controversial. I am a lawyer living in Vancouver BC who is anxious now to return to modelling.

Basically, I have a ton of stuff to work on and finally have the time and space to do it. so:

Here are my questions. They arise from the fact that I see so many new kits now that offer a great product without being misleading and i am now reminded of some products I purchased several years ago that left me, well, rather disappointed:

1. Verlinden products. Is it only me, or has anyone else felt that for years they offered products that were very expensive, contained nothing in the way of meaningful instructions and had the most misleading box art in the history of resin products? i once bought the "blacksmith shop" to discover it was nothing more than two crappy ceramic blocks. Um, sorry but where is all the stuff you showed on the cover of the box art? and I am talking about the days before there was the added warning that the kit did not contain all the added excessories. I have discovered two knew maybach engine kits, one resin, one plastic for Sdkfz 251s which I have compared to the verlinden kit i bought five years ago and there is no comparison.

And what was with their building kits that were mostly lumps of resin and bubbles?

And so i am not perceived as dumping on Verlinden as it then existed, did anyone purchase a Berlin Street Corner model from Kirin circa 1995 and find it was nothing more than a pile of resin with a bit of brick and window detailing?

And as much as i was supportive of custom dioramics, c'mon, the same misleading box art and no instructions for an excessive price.

Anyway, that is off my chest and i am happy to begin modelling again. I am just happy to return to notice that there is good quality for money paid in kits these days, or am i wrong? when i have the guts, i will post a building blog for my dml tiger at kharkov wi meyer etc.. figures....

peter

Northnova
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 11:29 AM UTC
Interesting. So everyone of you who has paid for over-priced and crappy resin products is happy nevertheless?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 11:48 AM UTC
The only crappy stuff I buy is AEF Designs, and then only when I feel as if I need to punish myself. At any rate, I won't even do that any more until Tony sends me all of the missing, deformed, or otherwise poorly cast parts he has been promising for almost 20 years. (Once again Tony, if you ever bother reading these forums, I'll still buy several hundred bucks worth of your crap just to use as a basis for a semi scratchbuild, using your blobs as a guide... You seem intent upon losing business by not sending me what you said you would)

As for your question about being happy? Well, with AEF the only way to be truly happy is to place all of the newly cast resins parts in a plastic ziplock bag and... NO! Not smash them with a hammer!! ...Place them in a bag, seal it around your face, and take several deep beaths.

Overpriced is somewhat subjective. What's overpriced to a college student may be a round of lunch drinks to say... an attorney.

There are so many other comanies putting out much better stuff these days, Legend, Accurate Armour, Cromwell, Pro Art, Real Model, Vajra, Hobby Fan...
Asking opinions on here will usually get you the low down on a specific offering from those manufacturers. The majority of what I do now is resin, and I could recommend any of the above companies without hesitation.
Northnova
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 02:00 PM UTC
Hello Robert,

Thanks for listing those companies. I have always heard good things of Accurate Armour and Cromwell from reading the UK mags. I will check out Legend and Hobby Fan. I think you have felt my pain when it comes to feeling cheated upon realizing you have purchased about $50 worth or more of lumpy resin blocks!

To be fair though, I just unpacked some of my stash (just moving in) and have to say that the Verlinden stuff for a French store is quite nice--furniture, bottles, produce, stock. perhaps it is more a matter of their bigger products?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

1> I am talking about the days before there was the added warning that the kit did not contain all the added [ac]cessories. ...[snip]..... compared to the verlinden kit i bought five years ago and there is no comparison. ...[snip]..... Kirin circa 1995......

2> no instructions for an excessive price.

3>when i have the guts, i will post a building blog for my dml tiger at kharkov wi[th] meyer etc.. figures....

1> Therein lies the point - these kits were manufactured before vendors had to disclose what was not in the box. Comparing something to a 5 year old contemporary will almost always yield an unfavourable result for the older product. But I'll bet at that time it was certainly 'up there'. In the modelling world, look at Tamiya or even DML's early kits and compare them to what they're producing now. Or real world, compare your laptop or car to a 5 year old model. If I remember correctly (commercial) resin casting was still relatively new to the hobby in the '80s and '90s.

2> As Rob said above, cost is very subjective. I saw a modeller berate Alpine figures (probably the best resin figures on the market) not so long ago as being not worth the cash - turns out he was a newcomer to the hobby and simply didn't know the value of things. In my experience if a resin product (be it figure, building or accessory set) is simple and intuitive enough, a manufacturer will not supply instructions. Why raise the manufacturing cost of the product unnecessarily? Particularly since resin products are aimed at the more advanced modeller?

3> With respect, you're not going to benefit from the community if you don't post your work. Everyone has to start somewhere, so post your WIP, and make the most of the advice your receive as you go along.

Hope to see you Kharkov scene started soon.

R~
Northnova
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 04:30 PM UTC
Hello R,

and thanks,

Your points are well-made. I am definitely excited about all the new products i see these days.
Northnova
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 04:37 PM UTC
Hello R,

and thanks,

Your points are well-made. I am definitely excited about all the new products i see these days. what I was hoping for is a balanced assessment, so thankis. Alpine figures are fantastic btw.

I agree, too put my money where my mouth is. I start work in May!

cheers, peter
Northnova
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 04:38 PM UTC
oops, sorry, double post.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I start work in May

Looking forward to it. Hopefully I can pick up a few tips, ideas and inspiration from you - I've had a Kharkov dio in mind for a year or so know, but keep delaying it due to other things on the workbench.
Northnova
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 04:50 PM UTC
Sorry, do not mean to belabour this but I am literally unpacking my stuff and Rudi and Robert make good points. It's unfair to compare stuff from ten years ago to the products I have just received in the last two years. you are right. we are spoiled these days with the quality of materials.

Thanks for the helpful posts.

Northnova
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 04:59 PM UTC
Hi Rudi,

My thought is to have Meyer and his staff in wintry mud near a Tiger 1----I know not very imaginative but it is only for me, and I shld start wi the basics. I now want to experiment a bit with glazes or filters and have a bit of fun just building and painting kits again after a long absence!

Do appreciate your input.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

we are spoiled these days with the quality of materials.

Not just for quality, but for choice. So much so to the point that it seems we've forgotten what it's like to be modellers, and to have to convert, alter, correct and scratchbuild. (That's my little bug-bear)

Quoted Text

My thought is to have Meyer and his staff in wintry mud near a Tiger 1----I know not very imaginative but it is only for me, and I shld start wi the basics. I now want to experiment a bit with glazes or filters and have a bit of fun just building and painting kits again after a long absence!

While it may appear a bit cliched, you're right: you need to model for yourself first and foremost. IMO you're on the right path: start with the basics and work your way through the various techniques determining the best approach for your own style of modelling.

I know you said you're only due to start in May, but may I suggest sketching out the scene (you've probably done it dozens of time in your head, and perhaps even on paper) and possibly even posting a digital copy of it in the diorama section? Post the kit and figures you intend to you use as well. It's early days but the lads will be able to give you great feedback and suggestions - just be sure to reiterate that you are a returning modeller, wanting to cover off the basic techniques etc not necessarily too concerned with historical accuracy at the point. It's sometimes useful to qualify your status and your needs and expectations of your readers as this site has varying degrees of modellers. Some can be pretty passionate about historical accuracy.
Northnova
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hello Rudi,

This is wonderful, thank you.

I have two Kurt Meyer dios in mind. One at Kharkov and one at Abbey Ardenne/Normandy (i have that nice monroe perdu farmhouse). I agree> i need to plan it out and move slowly. I do have a background in art but have to learn to move patiently! cheers. I may post my progress in May once i get settled but it will be a bit daunting.

sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Rudi,

This is wonderful, thank you.

I have two Kurt Meyer dios in mind. One at Kharkov and one at Abbey Ardenne/Normandy (i have that nice monroe perdu farmhouse).

Would that be before or after he ordered the murder of those 18 Canadian soldiers?

I'm sorry but I cannot see immortallizing Kurt Meyer.

cheers
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would that be before or after he ordered the murder of those 18 Canadian soldiers?

I'm sorry but I cannot see immortallizing Kurt Meyer.

cheers

Rick your comment is out of place. If you're going to go down that road why stop at objecting to Kurt Meyer?
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting. So everyone of you who has paid for over-priced and crappy resin products is happy nevertheless?

Not by a long shot In the I have been dissapointed by aftermarket bits and pieces after they arrive in the post
Now if I feel tempted to buy I ask about a specific piece or manufacturer here on Armorama. People will share their dissapointment with you and warn you off. For entertainment value do a search on AEF designs and you will will find some very entertaining post- some of the best by Robert Skipper above .
Although I have bought Verlinden pieces it was only after asking about the quality of specific pieces.

Best of luck with your project
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 12:14 PM UTC
I make too much money to care. I'll buy crap if I really want it. Been there, still doing that...
krow113
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 473 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 05:50 PM UTC
Peter If you are interested IPMS Vancouver meets every third fri ,next meeting -April 16 Bonsor Rec Center Burnaby All are welcome.
krow113
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 05:52 PM UTC
If get a crappy cast or kit I placate myself by thinking it 's just raw material.
Northnova
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
Thanks all for your helpful replies. I am very much looking forward to actually modelling again as opposed to such reading about others modelling. All much appreciated. It is buyer beware sometimes, is it not. I think what got my goat the other day was to see an old Custom Diormamics product on Amazon that was literally crawling with accessories and figures and of course none of that is in the box.... nuff said.

James,

Hello. i have gone to the annual show the last two years so will definitely try to attend a meeting. I look forward to it.

Rick,

I do acknowledge your comments and understand the point behind those comments. I should add the following. I am very much aware of the Meyer case, and have just recently finished reading the whole of the court proceedings from that trial for an article that i am researching and hope to publish at the end of this year. Furthermore, my best friend's grandfather was an officer and one of the Canadians murdered June 6-8/44. (Not at Abbeye d'Ardenne or Authie, though.) I laid a poppy at his grave at Beny-sur-Mer in October, 2006. His death is referred to in Howard Margolian's book on Meyer and the 12th SS, Conduct Unbecoming. Margolian is a colleague.

My best friend and i plan to jointly write the article, focusing on very dry legal and evidentiary issues addressed in the trial and perhaps relevant to modern prosecutions. We may also explore another angle. My uncle's typhoon squadron was flying sorties in the same sector (S/L James Easson Hogg RCAF) leading up to and on June 6. So. I think you can predict where my bias might lie.

But honestly, it is not really about that. My intent is to place a plastic tank and some resin figures beside a resin building. It will all be badly painted and constructed and will certainly not be a tribute to either Meyer or the 12th SS, or for that matter Normandy farmhouses. My hope is i can get my airbrush running again and have fun with glazes, pigments and maybe even churn out one or two decent pieces of aftermarket brass.

cheers all
krow113
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 01:26 PM UTC
Peter hope to see you there ! I have boxes of CD and Verlinden castings all bought on ebay for a song.Lay out your needs if you like and I willsee if I have anything for you,I got all this thinking of resale any way.
Northnova
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 03:14 PM UTC
Hi James,

Thank you. I will aim for the 16th. You can send me a pm at [email protected]
 _GOTOTOP