_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
what color oils to get?help please
junkman
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 05:14 AM UTC
i was wondering what was some of the basic colors of oils to get for a general wash,and are theses the paints that come in the tubes and are they acrilic or oils and do i thin them with turpenoid or do i use water to thin,i have never done washes before ,i have been painting some of my tanks drab green with black tiger stripes,i am not worried a bout an exact replica as im still trying to better my skills befor i go all out on exact detail,so could somone point me in the right direction..please
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Junkman.

I'll try to answer some of your questions. If you buy oil base (enamel) paint, thin it with mineral spirits or turpenoid. If your paints are acrylic, thin them with water. Some people thin acrylics with denatured alcohol. I try to "wash" my models with the opposite of what I painted it with. That is, if your base coat is enamel, wash with acrylics. If your base coat is acrylic, wash with oil base paint.

Hope this helped some.

Shaun
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:54 AM UTC
Personally I like using artists oils for washes. They come in tubes, and you have to be sure you read the label, acrylics and oils both come in tubes. The basic colors you'll need for WWII are:
black
white
burnt umber
yellow ochre
prussian blue
With these you can mix washes and drybrush colors for panzer grey, dunkelgelb, and olive vehicles. They can be expensive but will last a very long time, and in my opinion the subtlety you can achieve with oils is far better than acrylics or enamels.
 _GOTOTOP