_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
home made airbrush booth
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,465 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 05:16 AM UTC
i am useing 2 120mm computor cooling fans for my fumes exhaust but not sure how to power them.
i tried a computor power supply but dont know how to make it turn on without it being pluged into a computor, and thats not gonna work. i thought a 12 volt ac adapter might work, but i might be way off base. i just dont know! does anyone have any advice on this as i am electricly ignorant!
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hmmmm

Don't use a pc power supply, & I'd be cautious about 12V as well, as many pc components run at 5V.

Google this & other sites about homemade spray booths, many people advise 120V (or 240V for Europeans) Brushless fans as sold for bathroom vent fans.
This will give you fittings for common size ducting as well.

WARNING: I'm Comp Tech, not a sparky, so get specific advice from a qualified professional.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 04:00 AM UTC
I used a powersupply from something like computer speakers or an old CD player - something in the 9v area. I pulled the small plug off leaving two wires, I spliced them to a switch then the fan and was done.

here are some images in this gallery
booth
jcbreslin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 04:54 AM UTC
Gary,

Check out this link. I am currently building a similar spray booth with PC fan. This is the power supply I picked up. Converts AC to 12v DC for the fan I have.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556029977.html

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 05:44 AM UTC
THX gentlemen!

james,
did you strip the ends of the adapter cable or some other method of spliceing the wires
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 06:53 AM UTC
Yeah a computer power supply would be dicey, while it runs the cooling fans off of it, the fans are usually running off of the motherboard and not directly off of the power supply. Ditto for the power switch. So while it can be used, it would be a PITA to get it set up properly.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 03:11 PM UTC
Most computer fans are 12v DC, using something like Scott linked would work great (he already did it so you know it works ) . I would imagine someplace like Radio Shack would have a power supply rated at 12v DC, or maybe a power supply for a laptop?
jcbreslin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

james,
did you strip the ends of the adapter cable or some other method of spliceing the wires

No splicing necessary for mine. My fan has a 3-pin connector, but came with a 4-pin molex adapter for connecting to the PC power supply (same type connection for a hard drive or CD/DVD ROM drive in a PC). I think Radio Shack sells the 3-pin to 4-pin adapters if your fan doesn't have one. This ac adapter from the CoolerGuys has the same 4-pin as a PC power supply, so it's just plug into the AC wall jack and connect the fan directly. No messy wiring, which I am in no way qualified to do.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC
James,

thanks alot for your reply. i think that is exactly what im gonna do. will save me from screwing something up tyring to wire it in myself.....just plug and go!
i like tha sound of that!
Steve_W
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 06:58 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

so it's just plug into the AC wall jack and connect the fan directly. No messy wiring, which I am in no way qualified to do.

I don't wish to appear pedantic, but for safetys sake you should make the connection to the mains supply last of all... i.e. connect the fan(s) to the PSU first, double check everything and then plug into the mains.

Gary, are there any specifications printed on the fans or a makers name & model number?
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 07:22 AM UTC
steve,
the fans are 120mm masscool 12volt DC. rated power is 1.44 W. rated current is 0.12 A. airflow 64.6CFM.model no. is BLD-12025S1M. thats all it says on the package.
Steve_W
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

steve,
the fans are 120mm masscool 12volt DC. rated power is 1.44 W. rated current is 0.12 A. airflow 64.6CFM.model no. is BLD-12025S1M. thats all it says on the package.

Gary,
Are they the blue diode ones? BLD-12025S1M Same ref.# but slightly different (higher) specs.

Still, that power supply that James linked to has plenty of head-room as it's rated for 2amps (max) @ 12V output.

I assume you'll run the fans in parallel to keep the voltage at 12V... if so you'll need a 'Y' adaptor to connect the two fan plugs to the single power supply lead (if you don't want to start stripping wires).

I hope I'm not confusing the issue...

Steve

P.S. Caveat... although I have built quite a few PSU's of differing voltages in my time I cannot be held liable for anything... at all... ever...
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 08:10 AM UTC
Steve,
your not confusing me at all. i greatly appreciate your input. yes they are the blue led ones. i am definatley going to order the "Y" connection to be safe. im gonna have to order new fans because one right out of the package doesent work and im sceptical about the other. ill order better fans with the same specs. thanks alot steve for your responces and advice.
Steve_W
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi Gary,
No worries... I'm in the process of getting the parts together myself for a booth.

Bummer about the faulty unit... good ol' ROC quality control
BTW, were/are those Masscool fans 'brushless'? ...the website didn't say. I ask because of the potential explosive dangers of using non-brushless extractor fans with certain paint types... there's been a warning thread hereabouts recently.

If I can be of any further help then just post here... I'm subscribed
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 09:00 AM UTC
good luck with your booth build. i built mine out of 3/4" R3 styrofoam insulation board i purchased at Lowes home improvement. used inch & 3/4 long picture hanging nails as pushpins, adhesive, and lots of duct tape to put it together. its very light weight considering its 24" tall & 32" wide & 19" deep with the top slopeing down from front to back....24" tall front to 16" tall back. sides taper in front 32" wide to 20" wide in back. just need those darn fans & ac adapterto finnish. wish i could post pics but i dont have a camera. even if i did i would not no the first thing about uploading it. ill get my nephew to help someday....i hope! anyway....id like to know how your booth turns out steve.
 _GOTOTOP