History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
I Need Info On This Man In The Pic.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 07:24 PM UTC
I would like to know more information on the man driving this Schwimmwagen. He is on the credits of my game, in numerous history books, and on the net. So is the pic, and the film that was shot of them. In the film that was about 5 seconds long, he is smoking something.

Thanks!

~Chip :-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 12:15 AM UTC
Are you talking about the guy on the left wearing the officer’s hat with the brim? Most sources say this is SS officer Jochen Peiper, although one history of the Battle of the Bulge I've seen disputes this. I don't know anything about SS ranks but I've seen him referred to as a Lt. Colonel. He was sentenced to death in the war crimes trials for commanding the SS unit that conducted the Malmedy massacre, though he was not at the scene of the massacre at the time. The sentence was commuted and he was eventually released only to be killed in a fire in France long after the war.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 07:33 AM UTC
Well whats your game first off? And Im with Halfyank, do you want to know about the man with the leather cap driving the vehicle of the man standing up with the hat looking at the sign?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

information on the man driving this Schwimmwagen.

I don't mean to be mean, but I swear that I wrote about the man driving it, the one with the hood around his head. I know what I am going to get you two guys for x-mas.

Thanks guys, interesting stuff you got there Halfyank, about Jochiam "Jochen" Peiper.

ctmi911
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:06 AM UTC
Chip,

In the book "Nuts! The Battle of the Bulge. The story and the photographs" they have several pictures of this guy. But although they ID the officer with him, they don't state his name, just his rank as a Rottenfuhrer.

Good pictures though!

HTH,
Chris
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't mean to be mean, but I swear that I wrote about the man driving it, the one with the hood around his head. I know what I am going to get you two guys for x-mas.

The thing is Chip most people looking at that picture concentrate on Pieper. I think Zach and I assumed you meant him when you said "man driving." Of course you know what happens when you assume.

As far as the guy driving, other than he's wearing a funny hat what did you want to know?

chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 03:49 PM UTC
The guy driving, with the hood on.

I want to know:

His name

His birthplace

His sisters name

His moms maiden name

And anything else about him, I want to know how often he peed!

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 03:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you talking about the guy on the left wearing the officer’s hat with the brim? Most sources say this is SS officer Jochen Peiper, although one history of the Battle of the Bulge I've seen disputes this. I don't know anything about SS ranks but I've seen him referred to as a Lt. Colonel. He was sentenced to death in the war crimes trials for commanding the SS unit that conducted the Malmedy massacre, though he was not at the scene of the massacre at the time. The sentence was commuted and he was eventually released only to be killed in a fire in France long after the war.

Read from somewhere Peiper was killed in a fire that is caused by some French Communist Terrorists. It's sad affair.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:29 PM UTC
isn't he the guy in the movie who went to an American University still wearing that goofy hat, ended up living in the spare room at a Vetrinary clinic and of course ends up with the beautiful girl who had been having an affair with the English Literature Professor.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:48 PM UTC
I've seen that movie. Cant think of the name of it though lol.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC
th ere is a couple of photo's of these two men in Steven Zalogas Battle of the Bulge the man with the cigar is not Peiper he is Untersharfuhrer Ochsner the man behind him is Oberscharfuher Persin, the driver is unamed, these men belong to 2kompanie sspzaufkl. Abt.1 scout elementsof Kampfgruppe Knittel whatever that means. hope this helps
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 11:59 AM UTC
Thanks Easy. I read somewhere that it wasn't Peiper but I couldn't remember who I read it was.

Shaun
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC
Shaun,If you ever Model the Bulge I highly recomend that book its a gem.