_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
interior lighting
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 07:42 AM UTC
I am in the planning stages of building some interiors for my kits. once I close up the kit there will be very litle light even with all the hatches open. My question is can anyone direct me to articles ,supplies or web sites the can explain how to install lighting in a 1/35 scale kit? Secondly any info on where to get supplies in the US.

Thanks all,
Joshua
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 07:58 AM UTC
Your best bet is to use LEDs. They are easy to work with and give off cool light, that is they don't heat up. You can get them at any good electronics supply store like Radio Shack. Here is a quick, down and dirty guide to wiring them.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 09:28 AM UTC
I like fiber optics. They'e quite versatile, and can be used in conjunction with hidden flashing LED units from companies like Modelec (I"m using their VF02 set for my Iraqi Police Chevy Pickup) for some really cool effects.
That said, I have discovered an entirely different way of lighting that is nothing short of phenomenal. No wiring! When I get my M1114 finished I can show it to good effect.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 09:42 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the help. the primary vehicle I have in mind for this work is my M88, though a little lighting in my m113s should help as well.

Joshua
pzrwest
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
For interior lighting I use the tiny light bulbs found in old digital watches I pick up from yard sales. Just dissassemble the old watch and carefully unsolder the tiny light bulb. these are tinier than grain of wheat or grain of rice bulbs. They usually light well using just a 1-1/2 volt battery. Depending on the size of the model I use either the cheap button batteries from the Dollar stores or an "N" size battery
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 11:36 PM UTC
You could, if you are willing to sacrifice some exterior detail, cast the top of the hull in clear resin. If you lack the tools or ability there are several people around that can cast it for you. Good luck.
-Matt
 _GOTOTOP