_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Decal problems
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 03:19 PM UTC
Building Dragon's M2A1 halftrack, and the large stars on the top of the engine hood are having issues settling down over the raised detail of the hinges. I've applied numerous coats of testors decal set and decal solvent, and at this point, they're getting better, but it appears that the adhesive might be gone, or something. The decals are trying tend to come up when I'm applying more solution.

I don't know if a coat of gloss over them will seal them onto the model, but I'd rather not have these things peel off down the road.

So is there a way to fix this, or should I strip it and use one of the other marking sets for the kit?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 03:31 PM UTC
I tried Testors decal solution and found it didn't "melt" the decal as well as some other products, and I also had the problem with the decal not sticking in place afterwords. I've had the best success with micro sol and micro set, which molded the decal very nicely over the surface details.
Floyd_Walker
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 05:43 PM UTC
I'll agree with the use of a "hotter" decal set - some decals are more stubborn than others.

As for the decal losing adhesion... you could make up some replacement adhesive by mixing a couple of drops of ordinary white glue with an equal amount of water. Get it into the parts that are coming loose then carefully blot the decal back into place with a damp cotton bud/Q-Tip. When it dries, the decal should have snugged back down.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 10:35 PM UTC
Jesse,

The other thing to remember is decal setting solution isn't a magic bullet - if the hinges are really not settling you may need to slit the decal with a sharp knife (cutting out carefully around the hinge) and hand-paint the removed area to match once the decal has been set. After all, the real things were painted on with a stencil - that's how they cover lumpy details!

Tom
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 12:14 AM UTC
Yeah, I've slit the decal last night and then applied another layer of solvents. That was when I noticed the lack of adhesion, and made this thread.

Thanks guys. I'll take another look at it tonight if I get time.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:48 AM UTC
If that does not work see if you can a replacement decal from archer and apply as a wet one or try Echelon to see if they have any to use.
Sometimes none will set a real thick stubborn decal down no matter what you do.

Also if not a real smooth surface will not set down to well.
A good coat of future is needed with these thick ones.

Case in point the old Academy P-38 lighting with those thick stubborn Putt Putt Maru.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP