_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Printing decals?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 05:14 AM UTC
I just found out that found out I now have access to a color laser printer. One of the perks of working at one of the largest computer and printing companies. Now I can try my hand at making my own decals. Has anybody done this and do you have any tips?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 05:33 AM UTC
I've pronted paper "decals" for quite some time. Take the image you want and import it to a word document as clip art and resize it. Since you'll be using real decal paper, you'll want to make big sheets at a time. Remember, you'll have to do a white under decal if there is white showing, since you won't have white "ink". User the highest resolution your printer can manage to get the best detail. Use the largest master image possible. Reducing something will retain crisper detail than if you enlarge it.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 06:13 AM UTC
Halfyank, I print decals semi-professionally since years now. On top of what AJ Lafleche said, I'd add the following:
- Try to create your art with a vector graphic program which allows you to set the size of you object sprecisely and to resize them without any quality loss
- Buy your laser decal paper at Tango Papa decals it's the cheapest and the best paper you can find around
- Create your art and print it a 300 dpi, if they are really 300 dpi the human eye cannot distinguish higher resolutions
- Always "seal" your decals with a coat of Future or transparent acryl gloss coat
I hope this can help
Ciao
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips guys.

WeWillHold, I got your PM and I'll be contacting him. Thanks.
 _GOTOTOP